What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl to firewall attachment

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm still constipating how I will attach my cowl to the firewall, either with the Van's recommended hinges, or some kind of quarter turn fastener (camloc).

I saw this on the Van's RV-10 at SNF, and I'm curious if this is the new recommended way to do the hinge pins, or just something for the RV-10.

I'd prefer to go with the hinges, since it seems simpler, cheaper, lighter, and provides a more smooth mating surface for the cowl, but I'm worried that it will be a royal pain to remove and install the cowl. I really want it to be easy to remove the cowl, which will be an incentive to check under there more often.

Thanks for any hints!

How it works.

I have not heard of any change for the other RV's, but I don't see why you can't use this same system if you want.
This is just a stepped block of aluminum. The one step is what you see and is as thick as the fiberglass. The other step is below the screws. The block is tapped for the screws and the bottom threads of the screws are smashed so that they can't come all the way out.
When you back out on the screws the block will desend below the hing material and allow you to extract the hing pins which protrude into the corners of the top step of the block.

Kent

I did the pins and hinges just as Van's prescribes on my 7A and like them very much. The top can be off in about 5 minutes or less and the bottom is only 4 more easy pins. The A models have a little extra with the nose gear fairing, but that is only another 5 minutes.

Extra care in fitting your hinges during installation will ensure that they are easily installed and removed. Make sure you drill extra holes in the hinge flange for epoxy to assist in holding the hinges in place. I drilled an extra hole in between the rivets and used the recommended 1" rivet spacing. None of my rivets have loosened up yet in over a year and a half or have they cracked the paint. It's a very nice, clean installation method.

Roberta

cowlpin21ev.jpg

Also, I think the oil hatch works the best for R&Ring the pins. You have more room for grabbing them and pushing them in. JMHO

oilhatch39tw.jpg

Last edited:
I used the hinges

Hi Mickey,
I used the hinges provided in the kit, but did one thing different. Instead of installing the horizontal pins that hold the top and bottom halves together from the front, I went forward through the baggage compartment. Not sure if I would do that again because it's hard to reach the left pin without a step stool or something, and I'm 6'1". I've heard of some people running a brass tubing "conduit" from as far back as the panel to install the pins from the rear, but I found you have to help the pins in by "tapping" the cowl now and then.

Like Roberta mentioned, I drilled a 1/4 in hole between every rivet and used flox/epoxy to help hold it in place. My suggestion... spread out the epoxy on the cowl, cleco the hinges in place in every hole, and pin the cowl on. Let the epoxy dry completely and then set your rivets. This keeps the hinge from deforming when you squeeze the rivets and makes pin installation much easier.

Here's one of the hinges just before epoxy.

050205-4.jpg

BTW, the website is updated with links to first flight videos now.

Good luck,

Last edited:
Other builders have used a variation of Jeff's method by inserting the pins through the NACA air vents.
Mel...DAR

I used Jeff's method of hinge attach on my gear leg fairing hinges with great success. Mixed up some epoxy and flox, and clecoed together. Came back next day and riveted. Very secure and no deformation of the hinge.

Steve Zicree

Nothing special

The upper two firwall cowl pins install thru the oil door. It is a pain. One way to do it is like the RV-10 picture you show. You make a small access slot in the cowl on the centerline. You make the pins and hinges equal length. You install the pins from the outside thru the slot for both left and right sides. With aluminum, screw and nut plate can make a little cover or filler for the slot and stop to keep the pins from sliding out. Did this on my RV-4. For a while I had no slot cover and the pins stayed put, almost. OMe would back out a little and it bugged me so I made a sheet metal cover and one flush screw and nut plate under the cowl. The pins fit into slots in sheet metal cover and kept them in place.

The pin ends stuck up slightly like you show, and than aft. They where visible but looked like a Gun sight from the cockpit. I am like you deciding how to do it on my RV-7, but it worked so well last time I will likely do it this way again. Pins and hinges are light and work well. The bottom side pins do break, but I replaced the stock kit rolled hinge with extruded style hinge. Highly suggest using extruded hinge on the bottom side. Worked great and lasted a long time. G

Last edited:
Extruded hinges

George said:
... The bottom side pins do break, but I replaced the stock kit rolled hinge with extruded style hinge. Highly suggest using extruded hinge on the bottom side. Worked great and lasted a long time.
I didn't know about the difference between the rolled hinge and the extruded hinge. I'll have to check to see what I have. Thanks for the info.

Broken hinges

From the Answers to Frequently Asked Questions On The RV-LIST

look here: http://www.edt.com/homewing/faq.html#brokenhinges

I've heard the cowl hinges are prone to breakage. How can I avoid this?

This is indeed a problem on some RVs due to the high vibration in this area, It usually manifests itself as hinge eyes breaking off progressively from the ends. This is rarely a safety issue unless you let it go too far, but it is a pain in the neck regardless. If you have a flying plane and are experiencing a lot of hinge or fastener wear or breakage, the first thing to do is check the prop balance. Many RVers use harmonic balancers on their wood props with good results; metal/CS props can be dynamically balanced. All this costs money but it's usually worth it in the long run.

Beyond that, RV builders have used a wide variety of methods to prevent hinge breakage. One obvious solution is to just go with Camlocks or screws all the way around, but that has obvious aesthetic drawbacks. Most problems can be solved by using a combination of solutions in different areas. We'll look at these areas one at a time, starting at the front:

1. Front joint, directly behind the spinner bulkhead. The plans call out (or used to anyway) hinges here, but most people have gone to screws and nutplates. Most common is 3 or 4 #10 screws or 3/8" bolts. This works well, but be sure your nutplates are fastened to a good solid base, not just the fiberglass of the cowl. Use a piece of .063 AL, well roughed up (60-grit) on the back, drilled with bonding holes, then riveted AND bonded, with proseal, or cotton flox or milled glass slurry, to the inside of the cowl where the nutplates go.

2. Top/Bottom cowl hinges. The hinge eyes tend to break off mainly at the front where the curve is greatest, but can also do so at the back. One reason may be that the hinges are simply not properly manufactured for this sort of duty -- they have sharp 90 degree inside corners at the hinge eyes, and if looked at with a microscope, have micro-cracks right from the start. Simple solution: take a jewelers file or 400 grit sandpaper or a combination of both, and round off these inside corners before attaching the hinge to the cowl. Tedious, but probably worth the effort.

3. Top cowl-to-fuselage hinges. See 2, above. This is also an area where many people go with camlocks or screws. But smoothing the hinge eye corners will go a long way towards preventing this problem. Another issue here is the hinge pin itself. Vans specifies a reduced-diameter steel hinge pin here in order for the pin to be able to take the curve. But this smaller pin is more likely to move around and wear the hinge eyes from the inside. A neat solution is to get a normal diameter pin (steel, not AL) and use a belt-sander to narrow down the ends of the pins where they have to curve the most.

4. Side cowl-to-fuselage hinges. This area is probably the least prone to breakage, although the smoothing-the-corners trick is still a good idea.

5. Bottom cowl-to-fuselage hinges (except the -4). This area is the MOST prone to breakage. One solution is to go with stainless steel hinges, although reports from people who've done that indicate it is not a foolproof solution. Adding acowl -scoop center brace (for those models that use a scoop) will also help. Probably the most successful solution is to just toss the hinges and instead rivet some .063 AL flanges to the firewall and screw thecowl to them with #10 screws/nutplates. 3 screws per side is enough, and 4 is more than enough.

Hope this helps,

Regards
Rudi

Back