What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glassing over rivets on Canopy Skirt

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
A question for folks who've done this... I finished rivetting on my canopy skirt last night, and want to cover up the rivet heads. Can I just mix up some West Systems and mix in filler, microballones, etc...and trowel it on, or do I need a layer of glass cloth or something? If filler...what did you use? :confused:

Since I'm moving into the stage of finishing the outer fiberglass surfaces all around, I expect this answer will apply to many spots on the aircraft...

Thanks !

Paul Dye

Filling rivets on the canopy skirt.

I did not fill my side skirt rivets, but did fill in over the pop rivets in the back window of my tilt-up, big mistake... the vibration over time will work loose the filler of just about anything you may use... I would only fill the rivets that you really need to.

glassing over canopy skirt rivets

I layed up some 2" fiberglass tape over the rivets. It seems to work. Unfortunately, it has left me with a huge job of feathering in the edges with microballoon. Probably wouldn't do it again if I had known how much work it would be... still not done.

IT is a metal airplane

It is a metal airplane; make it look like a metal airplane. Be proud :D

I assume you are going to paint it with all the filling, fiberglass and microballoons anyway. If you did not cover-up the pop rivets, once painted the pop's are not obvious at all; However if you must fill something, just fill that little hole in the middle of the pop rivet. Use body filler or pro-seal (tank sealer). It takes a delicate touch and very little fillter; you are not trying to hide it, just fill the center pop rivet mandrel hole. They end up looking like regular rivets onve painted, if done right.

Cheers George

filling pop rivets

I agree with George. I spent a lot of time filling in and smoothing the elevators, and afterwards, I realized it was a big waste of time. On the rest of the pop rivets, I just used a bit of microballoon slurry, and a razor blade to fill it in. Much easier than the cloth. Of course, that stuff might pop out on the first flight...

Thanks everyone - that is where I'm headed - filling the little holes in the pop rivets, and letting that be enough!

Paul Dye

I'd try to find something other than proseal to fill those holes with though. I'd be a little concerned about painting or priming over proseal. Any auto body supply can hook you up with paintable products used to seal seams on body panels. I've also heard of people using epoxy, which definitely takes paint well.

Steve Zicree

Back