What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vari-prop for RVs

penguin

Well Known Member
Patron
Did anyone see the new hydraulic Vari-prop for RVs with Elippse blades at Oshkosh? There is an article in Contact! about the prop - it looks fantastic and would be ideal for me with an O-320-E2D (no governor pad & no crankcase drilling). I would be really interested if anyone has any comments, I would be really, really interested to hear if anyone has flown behind one! Apparently all the testing has been done on an RV-6A. If Paul Lipps has anything to do with it I'm guessing the performance is going to be at least as good as a Hartzell, anyone got any numbers?

Pete

I understand Paul had a lot to do with it (his blade design option) and that Jess Meyers was involved in some of the testing on his Chevy 6A.

I too am very interested in this innovative design and waiting to see weight, cost and performance numbers.

Anyone know more?

Last edited:
I don't know how to attach the brochure I received, but here's some info copied and pasted from the brochure:

"Vari-Prop has been under continuous development
since 1988. The research and development was completed and the company formed in 2004 by two professional pilots. They saw the need to create a reliable, lightweight, pilot friendly AFFORDABLE variable pitch, constant speed and ground adjustable propeller system for the Experimental and Light Sport aircraft category. This included the development of an exclusive, customizable blade and flange configuration for the 80 to 300 HP range. The Vari-Prop Systems are offered in a 2, 3 and 4 bladed models. Completely cockpit controllability
Enhanced aircraft performance
Unique exclusive patented precision hydraulic activation system
Light Weight ? 2 bladed Prop under 16lbs
Bolts on to any engine in the 80 to 300 HP class
Blades and Flange are Custom built to your aircraft.
Featherable
Recommend 1000 hr TBO"

I can't find the last e-mail I received, but think Larry Morgan said the price would be $7,995.

Mike

mandm1516 said:
They saw the need to create a reliable, lightweight, pilot friendly AFFORDABLE variable pitch, constant speed and ground adjustable propeller system for the Experimental and Light Sport aircraft category.
I can't find the last e-mail I received, but think Larry Morgan said the price would be $7,995.
Isn't this a non-sequiter? Wouldn't a tried and true Hartzel be cheaper?

N674P said:

I think the idea is way lighter, less expensive and no governor or drilled crankshaft required. Also applicable to non-Lycoming engines.

N674P said:
The big deal here is that the prop is much lighter than a Hartzell and is suitable for an engine that is very expensive to modify for a regular hydraulic prop. There is a 6 page article in Contact! Delivery times are quoted as 45 to 60 days and prices are $7995 for the 3 blade (until the end of Oshkosh), it weighs 33lb - thats 7lb less than my current Sensenich fp. A ground adjustable version is available, it is 1.5lb lighter, and is priced at $4995 for the 3 blade with Elippse blades or $4495 for a 2 blade prop with standard blades. Other versions of the prop are available for 80 to 300 hp.

Pete

more information?

Hello Pete

Interesting Propeller, do you have a link or the article? I do not now the magazine contact.

Tanks alot,

Dominik
RV7A
Switzerland

Back