What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AvMap EKP-IV Options

647jc

Well Known Member
I'm ready to order my AvMap IV from Aircraft Spruce (prices are about the same no matter where you buy it) and I'm not sure what options I may need or want. I will be installing it in an AirGizmo panel dock and assume I should order the 'straight Power Cord' so I can wire it into my avionics power bus. I'm also going to order the 12V AC adapter so I can take it home to program it, etc. Does it come with a data cable I can connect to my computer to assist in programming, is there any special software I will need? What about the Terrain Depiction option for $25.00, I assume that option is some kind of data card, anybody have experience with it? Also, it appears the antenna cable is 5 meters long and I only need about 2 feet, do I dare try to shorten it?

Thanks for any information or advice.
J.C.

Last edited:
check ebay

JC,

Before you buy one you might want to check ebay. I have seen new ones there for as low as $1100. It seems they were being sold by a company that sells aviation things. I do not know the company and cannot vouch for them...just wanted you to know. You might safe a few hundred $.

There's an essentially unused EKP-IV on ebay right now that has a buy-it-now price of $1000.

I have no association with the seller. (Although I considered being the buyer).

Check your PM's

JC, I have a small avionics business. Through that I have access to brand new, with warranty AvMap IV units directly from a wholeseller. I am selling them for less than Aircraft Spruce. Send me a PM if interested.

Freddy

Last edited:
JC
You may want to consider direct panel mounting. There was a discussion recently about it. It is easy to do, takes up way less space than the Air Gizmo, uses spare aluminum angle for the mount and remains easily removable for card updates etc. I just did this last week. I will install a switch in the aircraft power supply to the AVMAP for load shedding to allow it to run on the internal batteries. I originally was going to run a straight power cord, but now am thinking of using the standard 12 volt cigar plug installed in the rib adjacent to the AVMAP and switching the power to the recepticle. Can't help much with the programming, but I do have the 4 pole NEMA/serail interface cable for uploading and downloading info to an autopilot or external GPS. Maybe someone else can give some good input on programming/software.

Last edited:
OK, I checked eBay and ended up purchasing a new AvMap EKP IV from Jake’s Pilot Shop, good price and good service. I also purchased from Aircraft Spruce an AC adapter PN 11-01273 for $25.00 and a straight power cord 11-02403 for $25.00 which I will use to tie the unit directly into the airplanes NAV/COM power. I also purchased an extra GPS antenna from ‘ricepaddy1_gps_accessories’ on eBay for about $24.00. There was a screw up on the original antenna they sent but it was quickly corrected and they even sent me a pre-paid return mailer for the original incorrect antenna. I mounted the AvMap with an AizGizmo mount and made an antenna mount that attaches to the firewall and protrudes out into the engine bay 5 inches. The antenna is able to see the GPS satellites through the fiberglass cowl and even through my garage roof so I think I should be OK. I will be ordering a data cable with bare ends from Mouser Electronics PN 172-7425 for $4.62 that I will use to connect the GPS to my Dynon EMS (SL30 will connect to the EFIS). Still don’t know what PC software I can use to create flight plans and download to the AvMap, looking for something free or VERY cheap. I’m also not sure how or what cable I need to connect the AvMap to a PC but will probably be able to figure it out. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, especially checking eBay as a source for the AvMap.

Note: Re-ordered data cable with 90 degree plug PN 172-7426 necessary to fit in the AirGizmo mount.

J.C.

Last edited:
weather

Another AVMAP IV option that will be available soon is weather. I heard a rumor to that affect so I called the AVMAP folks (800-363-2627) and asked them. They are in the final stages of development now. If you own a IV now, don't worry, you can upgrade it.

They will provide a package at extra cost to enable weather reception...which will include a reciever. They have not yet determined which reciever to use. They anticipate the cost of the package at $300-$500.

It seems that that AVMAP IV w/ Weather at $1800-$2000, is trying to compete directly with the Garmin 496 at around $2300. I like the AVMAP because it has a larger screen. Weather is a must, without it I would go with the 496 hands down.

The AVMAP can be removed from the plane and used in your car, but it has only an aviation database....if you put in an address it will tell you how to fly there, not drive there. Does the 496 allow you to use it for both air and roadway navigation without changing the installed data bases?

I also think that the VMAP IV looks a lot better in the panel that the 496, small consideration.

weather

They have been telling me that they will have weather in a couple of weeks for at least the last year.

647jc said:
<SNIP> Still don?t know what PC software I can use to create flight plans and download to the AvMap, looking for something free or VERY cheap. I?m also not sure how or what cable I need to connect the AvMap to a PC but will probably be able to figure it out. J.C.

Hi JC or anyone else,

My avmap is still in the box not having time to figure this out yet.
What software are you guys using to make your PC talk to your AVMAP?
I've got the Data cable, but not yet any software.

Thanks
Rudi

Back