What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Survival gear

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
This past weekends event got me thinking more about my flight bag/gear. We all most evaluate; Type of flying, location, skill level(both pilot&survival). At that point we can figure out our gear. On the Home page, Doug showed a pic of his vest and when he wears it.
Up to this point I hadn't put together a vest, just tossed stuff in a bag. My thinking was, I'm very knowledgable about the outdoors and first aid and could get by for a fairly long time with minimal equipment. I also wasn't doing much remote flying.
Now with the J.C. & Sparky accident, I realize how unprepared I really was. These 2 experienced pilots were down <6miles from a settlement, people knew it, they had gear but burned before they could get it. 22-26hrs to rescue.
So here's my new plan:
Mesh fishing vest that contains the following:
leathermen
lighter&matches
PLB 406 w/gps
icom A5 radio
electrical tape
Foil sleeping bag

For the area I fly and my abilities, I think these items are minimums. Also bottle of water. I understand different strokes for different folks, but would like to hear what others are doing.

Brian, a couple of light weight additions to your vest.

1. A couple of quart ziplock bags. (might need a canteen, or collect berrys).
2. A couple of black gargage bags. (Rain gear, tarp).
3. Small first aid kit.

Kent

I just picked up an FAA aviation saftey program brochure the other day at an FBO called Land survival: are you prepared?" Lots of good info. The number of it is FAA-P-8740-59 then AFS-803 (1999) You may be able to find it online or order it. Its loaded with good information.

Good ideas all. Some other items that are in my "Oh S***" bag, which is always within reach in the cockpit:

Spare eyeglasses (NO WAY I could land without glasses)
Small flashlight (1W LED, runs on a single AA battery)
Compass with sighting mirror (which doubles as signal mirror)
Trauma kit, including quick-clot, cinch-tight bandage, packets of 10% iodine
Leatherman (someone always mentioned)

An additional bag with stuff for longer-term survival goes in the baggage hold. Some highlights:
Extended 1st aid kit
9 x 12 3-mil tarp, rope grip clips for making a shelter
Small roll of duct tape
Bigger knife (TSA-forbidden folder carried on person)
AA batteries for flashlight and COMM radio
AA battery pack for handleld radio
Water purification tabs and fold-up bags for water
Sunscreen and bug goop
Clip-on sunglasses
Bandanas
Fire-making tools (ummm.... fire....)
$60 cash and assorted coins
Expired ID

I need to invest in a 406 PLB and a strobe that runs on AA batteries. (EVERYTHING that goes in the kit must run on AA batteries OR have long-storage-life lithiums)

G-force said:
I just picked up an FAA aviation saftey program brochure the other day at an FBO called Land survival: are you prepared?" Lots of good info. The number of it is FAA-P-8740-59 then AFS-803 (1999) You may be able to find it online or order it. Its loaded with good information.
US Arvy Survival Manual Online at (233 pages):
http://www.humboldt.edu/~hsusnc/FM%2021-76%20US%20ARMY%20SURVIVAL%20MANUAL.pdf

Google Search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=U.S.+Army+Survival+Manual+FM+21-76+

kentb said:
1. A couple of quart ziplock bags. (might need a canteen, or collect berrys).
2. A couple of black gargage bags. (Rain gear, tarp).
3. Small first aid kit.

Kent

I forgot my emergency shelter, thinking the foil bag would be enough. But foil bags tear easily. A fellow pilot gave me this plastic shelter, It folds small. Ziplocks to contain some of my things. I don't usually carry a first aid kit as long as I have clothes, knife and tape.
All good suggestions, but remember it must be on your body as you go down, no time to gather it.

misc.jpg

hydroguy2 said:
I don't usually carry a first aid kit as long as I have clothes, knife and tape.
One of my worries is surviving a crash, only to bleed out from significant laceration or puncture. Chemical hemostats like quick-clot and others combined with bandages designed to be fastened in place quickly (even by yourself) have made a difference in survival rates in areas with high trauma (e.g., US Military in Iraq).

I don't know the frequency of trauma and bleeding in GA crashes, but some quick-clot and a cinch-tight are pretty small and nifty items to have. I carry them in the airplane and car 1st aid kits.

There is a limit to what you can wear.

I also have water purification tablets, a magnesium flint thingie, a small portable GPS (give coordinates to airliner above on 121.5), space blankies.

My 406 PLB is the GPS equipped McMurdo Fastfind Plus. Some places give you a certificate for a replacement battery (maybe for life).

While you're at it, throw in 2 MRE's. They'll provide food for a few of days. Get the real ones that have lots of carbs in them and have the heater packs. The pouches they are sealed in work great as a cooking pot for warming up water for coffee next to a fire or for collecting water. The coffee pack is included in them along with the secret sauce and toilet paper.

Also suggested is a cheapo 99 cent RED poncho that can be used as a shelter, ground cover, rain gear, and for signaling. A lightstick works great for signaling at night when tied to a string (shoe lace) and swung around.

For a meager 10lbs, you can carry a pretty decent survival kit on your plane.

I vaguely recall the rule of 3's, so did some searching and found the following. It should help anyone decide for themselves.

The Revised Rule of Three's

The Revised Rule of Three's adds a couple of important points to the original: You can survive three seconds without thinking and you can survive three months without hope. A lapse of alertness or attention during a life or death struggle can result in the sudden ending of your life in mere seconds. History has shown that the inability to travel, communicate or signal may eventually result in a loss of hope, which in turn, may result in loss of life. The revised rule of three's: You can survive three seconds without thinking, three minutes without air, three hours without shelter, three days without water, three weeks without food or three months without hope.

Signalling-finding items.

I've always carried a kit in my sailplane flying over the SW deserts, but admit to being lax in powered planes.

My glider survival kit is in a pouch in the top of my parachute pack, so is always available.

One item I've always carried is a small smoke canister (about the size of a 33mm film canister). In the case referenced at the start of this thread, the survivors said they could not contact planes they could see overhead.

Smoke would work. Simple, easy and light.

Another cheap and light signalling device is a streamer roll of silver Mylar... again, something that can be seen from a long distance away...

gil in Tucson ... only spent one night in the desert, but under very benign conditions... :)

Outstanding ideas, what ever it is, it must be ON YOUR PERSON, in case the plane sinks or burns. If you can get back to the what is now your pantry 2
Camelbacks or other puncture restistant water containers are a must.
The Key however, is to survive the landing. A helmet will do more for you than lots of other things. I'd add a cheap laser pointer , some chemical lights and a whistle to the list. And don't forget the bug headnet and goop.
Up here we are required to carry a survival kit in the aircraft.
Howie

Howie said:
ON YOUR PERSON
I don't think this can be stressed enough.

I read a book called "Danger Stalks the Land" once. It is a collection of survival stories about folks stranded in Alaskan wilderness. Actually, not all of them are survival stories... but things can be learned from all of them.

Anyway, there are a few bush pilot crash stories in the book and the common theme was that survival gear must be on your person or it is useless. Some of these guys were not even able to get out of their planes with small bags that were under or behind their seats.

Another good book on the subject is "Deep Survival." There's at least one memorable airplane crash survival story in that one but it focuses more on why people survive (or do not survive) certain situations. I've read it a few times; it is a fantastic book.

Some links in case anyone is interested:
Danger Stalks the Land
Deep Survival

Survival Kit

I took a Mountain Flying course at APA a year or so ago and remember the topic of survival equipment. I watched as the instructor unpacked the contents of his 'kit', the size of a medium duffel bag. Not even sure I could get this bag into (or out of) my RV-6A.

I think the Fly Fishing vest (mesh or otherwise) is the best approach for the critical items.

Besides what you like for survival gear...

While you're on the way down: Push the ELT "on" button.

Before that need, did you:

Tell a reliable person your intentions, route, and timing?

Avoid Killer Cotton clothing.

Provide for breaking out of the airplane?

Stow a "how to" survival book? You CRS unless you practice survival regularly.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Kit Contents

Some other things that might come in handy:

Magnifying glass---Great fire starter
1/4 parachute-----Weighs 1.5 lbs great shelter
Water containers--Baggies+the pills
SOCKS------------Extra pair
Pencil Flares
Flare gun

GOOD ATTITUDE

With all the other things people mentioned
these are the things that will help you survive.

I have been through Water survival training and
land survival training and these items will be
in my survival kit plus most of the stuff in Doug's
Vest and I do like the 44Mag (I hope).

Flares

Bruce said:

Pencil Flares
Flare gun

GOOD ATTITUDE

Bruce I had flares, but I don't think I would use them in the desert SW. The flares I had (pencil flares, not the large flare gun type) came from a marine store, and I don't think they were guaranteed to go out before reaching the ground.

A small strobe light may be a good substitute for night time attention getting....

Starting a forest fire is one way of attracting attention, but might be hazardous to your health... :)

Can you get pencil flares that are guaranteed to not start a fire on land?

gil in Tucson

Here's a good start:
http://www.basegear.com/survivalpak.html

I have been thinking about this lately as well.. I think I have decided that in most circumstances one will end up hurt pretty badly if you survive at all.. rather than thinking you will be setting up camp for 6 months in the mountains and catching fish, killing bears to make a jacket, etc. :) the most importaint things are probably prescription painkillers and a handheld radio.

Montana Aeronautics Recommendations

Here are my notes from Jeanne McPherson's class that she gave to our local hanger on surviving a crash. She heads up the rescue efforts in Montana.

She said unless you have a 406 GPS unit, you are like going to wait 36-72 hours or more until you are rescued. Many pilots die from hypothermia after survivable crashes. Crash sites are very hard to see from the air.

(My own thoughts: Personal 406/GPS beacon on your vest is the best)

Survival and Shelter more important than food. You can survive 3 weeks without food. Be prepared to last three days.

Wear what you can on a vest, very good probability that all you get is what is on your body.

Ponchos
Parachute cord
HD orange plastic bag
ziploc bags
paper and pencil to leave note
knife, saw
warm hat
wool is great for fire, maintaining heat when wet

Bivy by outdoor research

Signaling:

Mirror
Alaskan Laser: http://www.greatlandlaser.com/rlfm.htm

For First aid:

Safety pins
Duct tape

3 forms of firestarting:

Vaseline cotton balls don?t saturate them, they need air to combust
REI Stormproof matches
Flint
TinderPut

An attendee recommended putting survival kits in wingtips as they tend to survive the fire/crash.

Preparedpilot.com

nucleus said:
(My own thoughts: Personal 406/GPS beacon on your vest is the best)
I'm thinking you're right. The ACR Terrafix units can be had for $450 while the newer Microfix units are about $550. Makes sense to be to get one.

My worries are (in order of concern, most to least important):
* Not surviving the crash - blunt force of penetrating trauma
* Surviving the crash bleeding out
* Someone knowing where I am for rescue
* Exposure (e.g., hypothermia)
* Dehydration
* Bugs and sun

Great thread. Based on it, I'm going to reorganize my kit before our trip to BZN this month. I'll find a way to carry the new PLB and a few other items on my person rather than in the ditch bag, move some items to the ditch bag and get rid of most of the rest.

nucleus said:
.......from Jeanne McPherson's class that she gave to our local hanger on surviving a crash. She heads up the rescue efforts in Montana.

Jeanne spoke at the Clinic this past weekend. I was to do mountain flying with her Sunday, but she got sick. She was the SAR coordinator for the Imeson crash. She is a wealth of knowledge about safety and aviation education. I will be doing my BFR with her in a 7GCBC. (i know it's not a RV, but at least it's a taildragger) ;)

Avoid Killer Cotton clothing
rv8ch said:
John, What do you mean by this? Thanks!

Found this in a survival pdf somewhere:

A word about cotton
Cotton clothing is not recommended for wilderness wear. This
includes cotton undergarments. Cotton absorbs and holds moisture. It
dries slowly and is non-insulating and uncomfortable when wet. We all
love cotton denim jeans, but I cannot stress too vehemently: do not
wear denim jeans in the wilderness. (If you insist upon going to the
field in jeans you might as well pin a note on your back that says: ?My
jeans have caused self-inflicted hypothermia. Do not render
assistance.?)
Many modern synthetics provide better alternatives. Some
occupations require static free or fire retardant inner or outer clothing
for which synthetics pose a dilemma. Regulations or your personal
threat assessment will dictate any required compromise.

Last edited:
rv8ch said:
John, What do you mean by this? Thanks!
When I did volunteer SAR in Oregon, most people that were found who had "achieved ambient temperature" were ones who were wearing cotton - most often jeans and sweatshirts. Cotton looses its insulating properties when wet and, worse, absorbs heat in trying to dry itself out. NOT GOOD.

The climate there is very conducive to that - mild temperatures (30s and 40s) in the winter, so people didn't really dress for cold plus lots of precip. You can get hypothermia in VERY mild temperatures if you're not properly dressed.

Survival

I know this thread started out asking about gear, but technique is just as important. There are lots of good books about the subject, but I'd like to share some highlights that I remember from the various Navy survival courses.

1. Positive mental attitude (PMA). Both with yourself and with others.
2. Don't ration water. You can survive without food but not without water. Dehydration will cloud your judgement. In one survival class, we didn't eat for five days but drank lots of water. It's amazing how the body can adjust. Try it some time.
3. Build shelter and stay where people expect you'll be.

That's what I remember 20 years after taking the courses. Also, we were always told to wear cotton under the nomex flight suits because polyester melts with heat and can burn badly.

Back