What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

experimental crash in OK airshow ?

speed

Did anyone around here hear about this ? I was in Twin Falls, ID and I saw a blurp on FOX that an experimental crashed doing aerobatics at an airshow in southerh OK.

I searched the fox website yesterday but I couldnt find any other news. The pilot was in the hospital but one person who tried to aid the pilot was killed. The report was initially a mid-air collision, but it was later modified to be a loss of power.

Regards

I found this via Google News:

(courtesy http://www.siouxcityjournal.com)

Nebraska pilot hurt in Oklahoma City crash

YUKON, Okla. (AP) -- A small airplane piloted by a Nebraska man crashed during air races at Clarence Page Municipal Airport west of Oklahoma City on Sunday, seriously injuring him and leaving a would-be rescuer dead.
The single-engine airplane lost power and crashed at 12:25 p.m. CDT, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman John Clabes said.
The pilot was airlifted to an Oklahoma City hospital and was listed in critical condition.

A ground crew member at the airport was killed when he fell out of the back of a pickup truck that was racing to the scene of the crash, Clabes said. The crew member's name wasn't released.
There were no other reports of injuries.

Officials didn't immediately release the name of the person flying the plane, which was registered to James Debus of Lincoln.

Debus' wife, Lee Debus, said the airplane was being flown by Steve Mountain, also of Lincoln. She described the one-seat plane as a custom-built racer that her husband and Mountain helped build.

An Oklahoma City Fire Department official, Phil Sipe, said it appeared the small plane hit the edge of the runway.

"The debris field was scattered over a fairly small area, and there was a gouge on the east edge of the runway," Sipe said. "(The plane) appeared to tumble; the wings were torn off the fuselage, and it came to a stop within 50 feet of the runway."

Sipe said firefighters pulled the pilot from the fuselage, which was left mostly intact after the crash.

This is the first year the air races have been held at Clarence Page, said Scott Keith, manager for Clarence Page and Wiley Post airports. The two-day event featured three to four races a day between heats of five planes, he said.

Scott Rayburn, the owner of Aerospace Refinishing, Inc. on the airport grounds, said the planes involved in the races are small, propeller-driven aircraft between 12 and 15 feet long.

air race crash

I live here in OKC. The reports from witnesses that were there state that the pilot had some sort of engine trouble, he attempted to climb to gain altitude, somehow the plane stalled and he crashed the plane. The person who was killed was a mechanic from one of the other race crews. The news reported that he was a mechanic for American Airlines in Dallas, TX. He evidently jumped out of the truck while it was still moving and slammed his head on the ground causing head injuries.

RVBYSDI
Steve Ingraham

Tragic

He evidently jumped out of the truck while it was still moving and slammed his head on the ground causing head injuries.
That's really tragic.

Back