What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Enigma EFIS

lsu-rv

Well Known Member
anyone have any installed and flying pics of the Enigma? Smokeyray? Any thoughts if you like or dislike? Anything?

I have been over and over their website which is helpful, but want some real world opinions and pics from actual users. How do the maps look? What about the grey vs yellow buttons?

can you connect a x96 to it? Whats rumors on the com?

Sounds like it has so many features that i am surprised i can't find any panel pics and reports.

thanks in advance,
jeff H
austin tx

Stratomaster

I, too, have been watching Stratomaster's products very closely. I'm very interested in their new unit, promised for later this year. (10 inch display and comm ?) If their pricing is similar to what they already offer, I might be in glass panel heaven!

For more info...

Like you guys, I have been following the development and progress of the Enigma, and its big brother the Oddysey. There is a Yahoo group that seems to get the direct skinny from Rainier (the creator/developer) himself. He is also about to release a NAV/COM and is exploring the development of a Mode-S XPNDR; all at prices that purportly put the other avioinics mfg. to shame.

I go there to get the latest updates from those who are actually taken delivery and/or are flying with Enigmas. According to the information posted, there about 90+ deliveries here in the U.S.

Linky to Engima info goodnees: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stratomaster_users_group/

I recommed those who are interested in the product and developments sign up on the Yahoo group.

stratomaster website problems

The site does not work too well with Firefox - you may need to use MSIE. :(

Ok Guys,

I have been following this with interest, MGL is in my back yard, South Africa...When I first heard I could not wait to see it...I finaly got around to see it running in demo mode.

My opinion it is a fantastic option for the people building a pannel on a budget.

The only downfall is the resolution it is only QVGA, Quater VGA, ie. 320 x 240, and they are putting a lot of information on it.

I think it is a fantastic add on to the bigger general Kit plane market, on models not as 'expensive' as the RV's.

After looking at it I decided I wanted something a little bit more fancy.

Their other Bigger model has got some serius potensial, but it still in the works, people that need a pannel in a year should consider that one, at the time.

I am very proud of this South African product, but wanted something a little bit fancier in my RV.

Kind Regards
Rudi

How do people like the attitude reference in the Enigma? As I've been looking at EFIS units, I read the info on the SP-4 (the AHRS for the MGL stuff) and it seemed kind of scary. It looked like you had to adjust all sorts of filters to get it to work for your airplane, and it had warnings that flying things like slow, constant turns would cause errors. The manual gave you all sorts of warnings that it was never, ever to be used in IFR, basically even in an emergency. They recommend you fly ball/compass/airspeed over the horizon!

What experiences have people had with the horizon in the unit?

Enigma and SP4 AHRS

Hi Jeff (I see I am arriving a bit late... but here goes in any case!),

lsu-rv said:
anyone have any installed and flying pics of the Enigma? Smokeyray? Any thoughts if you like or dislike? Anything?

I have been over and over their website which is helpful, but want some real world opinions and pics from actual users. How do the maps look? What about the grey vs yellow buttons?

can you connect a x96 to it? Whats rumors on the com?

thanks in advance,
jeff H
austin tx

Have a look at the Yahoo usergroup for pics and "unbias" (if you regard a non-affiliated happy customer unbiased) opinions on the Enigma...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stratomaster_users_group/

With regards to SP4 and future AHRS work: if any supplier/manufacturer using Analog Devices ADXRS rate gyroscopes (without aiding) tells you that you need not be cautious flying IFR indefinitely on these sensors without a backup / other reference / aiding, they SHOULD BE SHOT!! That would be HIGHLY irresponsible. (fortunately I don't think that is the case...)

Who makes use of these sensors: most "low cost" (systems selling for under $5000 is fairly low cost) are using these sensors.

Disclaimer: these are my personal opinions. I am pretty sure the FAA would be happy to support them though!! I am not pointing fingers at any manufacturers. In fact: I think most guys are happy to admit that low cost AHRS equipment should be used with caution. I am explaining why the MGL manual is written so conservatively... If you are unhappy because I am warning you not to get yourself into trouble, then so be it...

Yes: you can do well on these sensors, but I would not want to be flying blind at night in clouds and/or turbulence on these gyros only for and extended period of time (without ANY aiding).

Yes: if you end up in a situation where you should not have been in in the first place, I would bet my life SP4 gives you a good chance of getting out of there alive... but don't use that as an excuse to go looking for trouble!!

I am happy to say: I think the SP4 is about as good as it gets on these sensors. MGL is providing a word of caution... just like the FAA! Have you got an IFR rating?

With regards to slow turns: glider pilots love testing this unit. And it works for them. But don't be surprised if after 10 min of flying thermals the roll angle is out by 3 degrees... And yes: you can fly HARD 3D aerobatics using these sensors, and still recover with GOOD results.

SP5 is in process. Better sensors. More expensive. But the sensors that are flying in SP5 have been used to design an FAA certified AHRS system (and I have a feeling GRT might be flying them?)

Enigma can handle SP4, or SP5... or one day: SP6!!

Cheers,
Nicol.

Last edited:
Nicol

nicolcarstens said:
Hi Jeff (I see I am arriving a bit late... but here goes in any case!),

Last word of advice: ask some of the MGL customers (via the Yahoo group) if they are happy to use the SP4 based AHRS in case of emergency...

;-)

Cheers,
Nicol.

Nicol,

Any chance you might be an electronics engineer working for MGL?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Tony Spicer said:
Nicol,

Any chance you might be an electronics engineer working for MGL?

Tony

OK, now I understand you question/comment posted under thread "Dynon or GRT EFIS". See my comment there please.

Nicol,
Engineer with MGL Avionics.

Last edited:
Stratomaster

I purchased an Enigma several weeks ago and have just started to install it. Sorry but it will be a while before my RV4 is in the air. I have performed a rudimentary bench test to take a look at the screen. It comes with the GPS antenna so that was easy to take a look at also. Looks fine to me. Better than the two year old monochrome Airmap 1000 clamped on the yoke of my spam-can. With the sun shining into my shop it was a little hard to see but all of the glass units I have flown with have been hard to see when the sun is shining at the right (wrong) angle. Toggling to the different screens is easy with one button. The gray buttons look great. The instructions seem a little light but my previous avionics installation background is nil so I can?t blame MGL for me not knowing some of the basics. The fellow on the other end of the phone at Sport Flying Shop is rapid response oriented so no complaints there.

I was originally going to purchase the two small Dynons and a Garmin X96 but decided to take a chance on MGL since it is all-in-one. If everything works as advertised it will be a great unit for my simple and light weight VFR RV4. The flight mission of this airplane is sport oriented so the Enigma should be a good solution. It is about as close to ?plug and play? as an airplane builder can get. Don?t you think?

When I get it mounted I?ll post a few photos. My panel is pretty simple so it shouldn?t take long to mount the main avionics boxes.

Brian Vickers, Bainbridge Island, WA
RV4 ? panel building now

Enigma Support

Hi Brian,

Since I have now officially been labeled MGL Tech Support (I still don't like it)... here goes my recommendation if you have zero avionics installation experience:

1) Don't fear: it is not that bad!
2) Read the manual. And if you are not happy about the manual: speak up! You need to tell us what you don't know...
3) Ask questions if the manual is not providing the info you are looking for.

Where do you go with your questions?

First stop: the web, for example the Yahoo User Group. You will have the combined knowledge of users, distributors and designers. Go to...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stratomaster_users_group/

If you don't like email: speak to Matt, or phone Rainier. "The fellow on the other side of the line at the Sport Flying Shop" was in all likelihood Matt. He knows the product.

If you punch in the international dialing code and the number as per company website, you will get to speak to Rainier (designer of Enigma).

As for sunlight readability: that is a major point of discussion. I don't want to get into fights on this one. But there is a difficult trade-off in this one: resolution vs "brightness" vs power consumption vs price! To make matters worse: it is somewhat subjective and application specific... Not an easy one for any manufacturer. For further comments: we can take this elsewhere!

One arbitrary comment (my personal opinion): I do like your original idea of two screens...

Keep us posted,
Regards,
Nicol.
MGL Tech Support...

Last edited:
don't make him mad

rv8ch said:
The site does not work too well with Firefox - you may need to use MSIE. :(
Bill Gates is somewhere counting his money and laughing at you and your Firefox. He will crush you. :rolleyes:

Back