What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HSI and Garmin 496?

N941WR

Legacy Member
I have a Dynon D100 EFIS connected to a Dynon D10 EMS. (DSAB and serial connections) All looks great but now I'm trying to wire in my Garmin 496 and have it drive the Dynon HSI function. (No other navigation equipment is installed, such as the SL30.)

The blue wire from the GPS (Output 1) is connected to pin 19 (white w/ black wire) on the D10 EMS, per the directions. I have tested the output with a VOM and all connections are good.

The Garmin has been configured to output its data using the NMEA format.

From what I have read so far, there is no other configuration issues to deal with, yet the only options on the EMS and EFIS are for the heading bug.

What am I doing wrong here?

One other thing, software versions:
D100 EFIS: 1.06
D10 EMS: 1.06
496: Who knows, it is only a few months old.

Last edited:
You need version 1.08 on both the D100 and D10 to do a HSI. Version 1.06 only does the DG.

You do also need your 496 set to slow or you won't get the courseline.

dynonsupport said:
You do also need your 496 set to slow or you won't get the courseline.
actually, the right spelling for the "Output rate" menu setting is "Normal".

To reach that semi-hidden menu you do this:

Go to the unit menu by pressing twice on the Menu button, then use the joypad to select "Setup" (last option in the left panel), then use the joypad again to scroll right to the end of the options, "Interface" panel.

There you should select "NMEA In/NMEA Out" in the Serial Data Format field, and the speed will automagically be selected at 4800 bps (you cannot manually change the speed on the Garmins, it is fixed on a specific Serial Data Format).

At that point, press the Menu button, and select "Advanced NMEA Setup", and make sure you have "Normal" in the Output Rate field. You also want to make sure that the last field, Waypoint/Route (WPL/RTE) is selected to "On" so the GPS outputs the waypoints and route information in the NMEA stream.

Ciao, Luca

Thanks everyone.

I suspected it was a version issue.

Ringraziamenti Luca, Mike at Dynon helped walk me through this yesterday all to no avail.

I'll update the versions today and let you all know how it goes.

Here's the update.

Turns out my computer didn't play nice with my D10 EMS, now with what issue resolved I was able to upgrade both the D100 EFIS and D10 EMS.

The connection listed above works just fine and the HSI display (w/o GS) comes up as expected.

These Dynon units are just outstanding!

PS. Thanks for all the input.

Back