What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

URL to video of 1st customer-built RV-10 first flight

GOOD JOB!!! That should get some RV-10 builder's juices flowin' (and other RV builders as well)!!! Numero Uno!!!

Congrats, again!

Roberta

Congrats

Congratulations to John!

When I finish my 8A, I'll probably omit the high speed pass from my first flight agenda. I, perhaps, cannot yet fully understand the temptation. ;)

Things looked like they performed great.

Yikes

I don't know the qualifications of the pilot that conducted this flight, but if this was truly a "first flight", I found a number of things that I would consider questionable judgement. The guy obviously was successful and it appears his airplane flies great. Congratulations to him.

All I'll say is that you might want to review the EAA and FAA guides for conducting test flight operations before you do yours. Since I am getting close to conducting my first flight, I plan to update and publish my flight test cards that I used on my RV-6. They will be available on my web site as I go along. Maybe these will assist others in planning their test flights.

Again, I'm not trying to trash the guy. Each PIC must decide what's best for them. The first couple of flights are for ensuring that the engine can and will stay running. Low passes and showing off for the crowd probably should not be on the list.

Way to go, John!

Heck of a first flight! Really greased the landing! How did you hold it off for so long with that light load? Did the W&B come out a little aft or are you just that good?

By the way, it's important that someone point out that John Nyes and Bart Dalton actually built the first 4 place RV years before the idea ever occurred to Van. I think it was even on the cover of Kitplane. Somebody ought to post a picure.

Testing methods

f1rocket said:
Each PIC must decide what's best for them. The first couple of flights are for ensuring that the engine can and will stay running. Low passes and showing off for the crowd probably should not be on the list.

I agree with taking things slowly and carefully. I am pleased for the success, but would be interested to find out what his insurance company would do if things hadn't gone exactly right on that low pass.

I am definitely a novice pilot, with low hours and little experience. But, I am definitely going to get current, then go for transition training. Finally, I'll determine who should make the first flight, as part of a test procedure that I'll write. I won't be just burning off the hours as some comment that they do. It might be tempting, but why not learn as much as you can about your plane.

Sorry if I'm a bit off topic here. I am really impressed with the completion and success.

BTW (By The Way), I wonder how he prepared himself for the flight. Did he get current in another type? What plane did he use that could match the performance numbers? Bonanza?

Way to go !!!!!

CONGRATES !!!! I am so excited, What did you put in it ? Are you sharing the specificatoins of your plane, I search for a possible web site. Of course a few pictures would also be awesome too :)

Fly it like you stole it :eek: !!!! Let the man enjoy his achievement :cool:

Great work, keep us posted on your fly off progress, maybe we can setup a fly off meter here at van airforce that would look really cool for the first RV10 customer built.

Last edited:
First Flights

First, my hearty congrats to the John Nys for the successful first flight of his Rv-10. Second, I am going to assume that it actually wasn't the REAL first flight, and that this flight was staged for the crowd and cameras, which is OK. Certainly by now we have all read and learned that showboating on first flights is not really cool. I'd like to assume that we have all been paying attention to the Flight Advisor programs from the EAA, and how much of a positive impact that program has had on reducing the number of incidents and accidents during the intitial phases of flight testing. Those who are going to be some of the first at flying their RV-10's have a responsibility to the rest of the builders, and the aviation community as a whole, to be a good example. If that responsibility can't be accepted, then do as they wish but don't parade it in front of everyone else. We can All suffer the consequences in the form of increased insurance, or plague the RV-10 with and undeserved reputation, and that's not what we need right now.
Yes, I am a Flight advisor, and I've made 10 first flights, and I can be opinionated when it comes to safety issues. There's no room or need for showmanship except by the professionals during airshows or training, not first flights.
'Nuff said, I hope.

Vic

no wobbly knees

That could not have been the first flight - look at his knees when he gets out, they're not wobbly. :)

Back