What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fatal Crash Near Twin Oaks 7S3

Righty

Very bad news from Hillsboro. I found out when a Sheriff deputy friend of mine called to make sure it wasn't me. He said that there were two fatalities, but the story says there was one. Not a lot of detail yet other than that the pilot reported engine trouble and went down in a muddy field. The lead-in to the story said that it was an experimental.

News Story

Thoughts and prayers for the family of the deceased.

Last edited:
forced landing

spindrift said:
Brought back a few scary minutes in my life, but makes me that much thankful that I walked away from the same field. I wish he had done the same....

http://www.katu.com/news/3643586.html
Bill, did you do a writeup of your experience? Clearly you did a lot of things right, and it would be great to learn from you. What was it like to get back in the saddle after the forced landing?

wow

Bill, you deserve a commendation medal from the FAA for walking away from a bad situation. especially as a student pilot. In my opinion there should be a reward for that. Even Bob Hoover had to do that a time or 2.

rv8ch said:
Bill, did you do a writeup of your experience? Clearly you did a lot of things right, and it would be great to learn from you. What was it like to get back in the saddle after the forced landing?

I did a full write-up for the NTSB report, perhaps I can post it on the appropriate forum. Obviously I've had a lot of time to reflect on the experience, and the main thing I did right, and the thing I was constantly thinking from the time the prop stopped spinning to when I came rest upside down, was "fly the plane until it stops." There are several things I might have been able to do to land on the runway at Twin Oaks, especially with more experience. But as soon as the approach looked questionable (way too high even with full flaps), I turned and landed in the large field I was over while I still had enough altitude to turn without risking a stall.

As for getting back on the horse, it was tough, especially the first flight after a couple of months off, with a new instructor. Definitely set my training back and added a lot of hours before my checkride, but I never considered quiting flying, just like drivers don't stop driving after an accident.

Back