What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Alodine experts out there???

N713R

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I read through previous posts, and though I'll readily admit to not reading all of them, the search did not turn up the answer to my question. I am now building a Just Aircraft SuperSTOL. The leading edge slats on the wings are finish assembled. They are ready for paint. I have been told to Alodine them for better paint adhesion. From what I read, Alodine and the cleaner used before application are both fairly aggressive chemicals. My question is whether to use them at all, since the parts are riveted together already. I am afraid I will not be able to get all the chemicals washed out of little cracks and crevices, and thus promote corrosion, rather than prevent it.

Advice from someone in the know? I see that many people scotchbrite alclad before painting. Is that enough?

Best,

Ben Schneider
RV7 built 80% sold.
Just Aircraft SuperSTOL in paint and final assembly.

Scotchbrite is used to roughen the surface a bit to give more surface for paint adhesion.

On my RV....

I used a Scotchbite pad when I acid etched the part, the rinsed with water, put the part in an alodine tank, rinsed with water, then applied AKZO epoxy. This was done on the interior before parts were assembled, so there really wasn't an issue with getting chemicals out of the cracks.

My exterior was roughed up with a Scotchbrite pad, an etching primer applied, basecoat applied, then top coat (clear) applied.​

It really depends on what you are wanting to do. Different paint formulations are going to have different requirements for preparation. I used JetGlo and AcryGlo. Sherwin Williams web site documented the preparation process very well. I would assume that the other paint manufacturers probably do the same.

If you aren't going to paint the aircraft yourself, give the painter a call. They will have very specific instructions on how the want the aircraft prepared and delivered.

Hi all,

I read through previous posts, and though I'll readily admit to not reading all of them, the search did not turn up the answer to my question. I am now building a Just Aircraft SuperSTOL. The leading edge slats on the wings are finish assembled. They are ready for paint. I have been told to Alodine them for better paint adhesion. From what I read, Alodine and the cleaner used before application are both fairly aggressive chemicals. My question is whether to use them at all, since the parts are riveted together already. I am afraid I will not be able to get all the chemicals washed out of little cracks and crevices, and thus promote corrosion, rather than prevent it.

Advice from someone in the know? I see that many people scotchbrite alclad before painting. Is that enough?

Best,

Ben Schneider
RV7 built 80% sold.
Just Aircraft SuperSTOL in paint and final assembly.

Ben, you will get more corrosion from the dissolved solids in the water unless you use distilled or reverse osmosis sourced water. Get some garden sprayers on sale at Menards and water with very low dissolved solids.

Back