What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass Newbie

ethand

Well Known Member
I am finishing up the ailerons on my -10 and looking ahead a few sections to my first crack at fiberglass. I did not do the fairings on the empennage kit at the time so looking to start with the wing tip fairings.

I read the first part of the West Systems document but am looking for additional education or direction on how to proceed. I know EAA has a class but it seemed geared more towards the composite aircraft builder not what I am looking for.

I am looking at the 105/205 kit from West systems and low density filler? Do I mix, apply, sand, repeat until what? All areas are smooth? Then do I coat with Smooth Prime or something similar? What am I missing?

Looking for alternate suggestions and reading material. If anyone in the San Diego area is working on fairings would love to stop by and help/take a lesson.

E

I am in the same boat. Looking forward to the replies. I have been looking at buying Sam James video which deals specifically with vans ac.

Ethan,

I can walk you through the processes. I've also got a bunch of materials you can have.

Basically, you have epoxy. You can get the slow or the fast catalyst to go with the resin. If you are making some sort of structural thing, you can use the epoxy to wet some fiberglass that becomes your part. Add enough layers to get the thickness and stiffness you desire. If you want to use the epoxy as a structural glue, then add flox to the epoxy. Flox makes the epoxy very hard to sand smooth. If you want to fill pin holes or small depressions, then add micro bubbles. The micro should be added until it is stiff like cake frosting. This dry micro mix is easy to sand down. If you don't want the epoxy to sag or run, add some cabosil.

Thanks for the offer Bruce. I will certainly take you up on your offer of excess material. Maybe there is an opportunity for a day trip to Ramona for a fiberglass class :).

Considering I am focused, for now, on non structural fairings I will ask, what are microbubbles? Is that different than low density filler or something different?

What is cabosil used for?

Did you coat the final product with primer or something else?

E

Go to Aircraft Spruce and order the "Composite Practice Kit". It includes Rutan's "Moldless Composite....", still the best basic fiberglass fabrication manual you can buy.

EAA workshop

The EAA workshop is useful for newbies - I took this workshop last year in Watsonville prior to starting work on the fiberglass for my Rocket and I found it invaluable for giving me hands on experience working with the materials and tools required.

+1 for the EAA fiberglass workshop, but even more valuable is the RV10 specific fiberglass workshop put on 1-2 times a year by Aircrafters, also in Watsonville. Go to www.aircraftersllc.com for contact info. I attended their first one probably 6-7 years ago, and it improved my skill levels tremendously.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Back