What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Factory" organization

Aggie98

Got my preview plans, the air compressor and now transforming the garage to a factory. Just want some ideas on how to store my kid's stuff (bicycle, tricycle, radio flyer wagon) and all the other traditional garage stuff like lawn mowers, yard equipment and coolers. I don't really have room anywhere in the house and no storage shed...just looking to maximize the space. What did you do when space limited?

BTW, it is a 2 car garage and must keep enough empty space for my wife's car...at least in the beginning:)

Up?

How about up?

I recently installed 4 "Hyloft" platforms above our garage door. The Hyloft racks are rated at 200 lbs each and helped get A LOT of stuff up and out of the way (except the mower). My neighbor was so impressed by them that he did the same. I also installed a 2-bike rack on the wall, and additional bike hooks on the ceiling.

Good luck!

Bike racks in the garage during construction! <Gasp> Between Tanya and I we have four (one mtn., one road each) and they all went on the walls in the house close to the front door. Works great if you can get away with it :).

How high is your deck?

I fastened corrugated tin to the bottom of my deck on a mild grade, then put lattice on the sides and planted climbing nasturtiums. Lawn mower, tiller, spreader, aerator, clay pots, ...all sorts of odds and ends are under there now. Of course, there is no house behind mine, so no one can see it to complain, looks fine from the side. In the garage itself, bicycles are hung on the wall. I installed a high 16" shelf on one wall to help get stuff out of the way.

For airplane parts, I strapped the stabilizers and rudder to the ceiling in the garage, above the garage door while open, and put the elevators and fiberglass components in the attic to get them out of the way. My work table is large 8.25' x 4' and I put a shelf underneath to store parts waiting to be assembled. On the floor under it is all my "scrap" lumber that manages to be used all the time for something.

You should be able to get her car in there during the empennage phase, but once you fabricate or setup a wing jig, her car is going to become very acustomed to the elements. Hope she has heated seats. :p

When you get the empennage kit, be sure to cut out one of the faces of the packaging cardboard with those famous words on them and mount it prominently in your garage. (Oddly enough I didn't, and kick myself every day!) Don't worry, you'll know exactly what I mean when you get it.

Also, get honest with yourself and sell stuff you won't be using much, or give / throw it away. There further along you get, the more room you need.

Good luck!

Last edited:
scard said:
Bike racks in the garage during construction! <Gasp>
Scott, I hear ya... I was getting my road bike down off the ceiling hooks the other day when I *almost* lost control of it near the wing... for a brief moment I saw my life flash before my eyes. :eek: :eek: :)

RV7Factory said:
How about up?

I recently installed 4 "Hyloft" platforms above our garage door. The Hyloft racks are rated at 200 lbs each and helped get A LOT of stuff up and out of the way (except the mower). My neighbor was so impressed by them that he did the same. I also installed a 2-bike rack on the wall, and additional bike hooks on the ceiling.

Good luck!

THAT is a great idea. I need to ramp up for the RV-7 construction and I think there are some of those buggers in my future. Great suggestion.

Build a shed. I had the same problem until I built mine. There are simple plans on the internet for us non-carpenter types. A little wood, some paint and a few shingles and yer done. I still have the plans and will send some pics if you are interested.

Gary Bricker

Come to Granbury- Plenty of help and no need for all that stuff- You will be working on the plane and no time for anything else. Eaa Chapter 983

Aggie 98

Gary,

Are you a Texas Aggie? If you are then you should get on Dalton Zieglers Aggie RV builders list.

If not, then sorry.

Allan Stern
Class 77

If there is room, I concur on using a shed. I think I got metal 8'x10' atl Lowes for $238. Took about 3 hours to put together. I used it on an apron when I built my hangar. Had my compressor, tools bolts, pieces and plans in there and locked it at night. Now I use it to store flamable items. Great investment.

Allan Stern

Do you have a link to Dalton Zieglers Aggie RV builders list?

I might have to go the shed route. I measured the space above my garage door, and have only 11 inches from the door track to the ceiling. Do not think the Hyloft will fit, regardless it is not enough space to fit the things I need to store. We have started to look at other homes...plan is to only be in the current location only through the empennage phase. So, I do not want to do anything too drastic.

Other places we have looked are Granbury (Pecan Plantation and Granbury in general), Weatherford, some of the homes around Hicks, etc. I work at that big airplane factory on the west side of FW. :) We like Parker County, but it has limited access to a decent airport. I think Parker County really needs to invest in a nice county airport with all the growth going on in order to make more attractive. I currently fly out of both Meacham and Northwest Regional since I live on the far north side (Keller).

I built crates for the patio

I built a crate 4'x4'x8' using standard plywood sheets and 2"x4" stud quality boards. It sat out there for 7 years. It was cheap not too ugly and it held a lot of stuff. I put it together with drywall screws and when I needed something out of it I removed a 4'x8' side panel using a drill motor and a phillips drive bit. I respected my wife's ownership of half of the garage and respected it completely except when I installed the wings. With the fuselage positioned diagonaly (all the long ends pointing to a corner of the garage) we could just get the door closed. After I drilled the holes for the rear spar attachment locking in the incidence angle, I removed the wings and gave her, her half of the garage back. If you have ever installed and removed the wings for an RV-6A you know that it is a daunting task - it was worth it! You need your factory but if you infringe on her space it isn't fair and the pain will be felt both ways.

Bob Axsom

Back