What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Zulu headsets and Icom a210

crashley

Well Known Member
Hi I have a pair of zulu lightspeed head sets and an Icom A210 radio and am haveing trouble to get them to work properly
the radio needs to be turned up nearly full volume to hear
and the intercom is barely readable. with a set of normal headsets all is ok with the volume about 50% and intercom volume about %40

I use the same setup and it works fine.

Have you tried the zulu's in another plane?

Are you using stereo jacks?

I had the same issue.........

.........and after some intricate troubleshooting determined that if I slid the sliders on the headset volume control I could hear a whole bunch better DUH. Not saying that is your problem, just sometimes the simple things are my "gothchas".

I would start with the manual for the iCom and get into the setup menu for the intercom. There are level and squelch options in there that may be of use to you.

As a diagnostic step, you might try disabling the internal intercom, and plugging only one Zulu in, just to see if that changes anything.

Another test, maybe it's possible that someone made a mistake and has the sliders in backwards on your headset? Try sliding them the other way perhaps? Maybe you've tried this, but just in case.

My Zulu works perfectly with my iCom, but I am using an external intercom... The plane was wired that way and I didn't want to re-wire to the iCom intercom right away. I have a PS3000 intercom connected to the "pilot" inputs on the iCom.

Inside the cable lump, there are dip switches and one of them sets the stereo/mono mode of the headset. Ensure they are set correctly. This is most likely not the root cause of the low volume levels but it should be set correctly.

I have checked the mono stero switch and that makes no difference
and have tried the radio in another aeroplane and it still seems the same
what volume setting are others using
I also disabled the intercom and that also made no difference
thanks

Borrow another ZULU and see if the problem persists. If it does, the radio is the problem. If the problem goes away it is the headset. :cool:

Back