What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Zip Tips

ShaarkBaait

I'm New Here
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
I acquired a RV-4 back in October and now I'd like to make some improvements on it. The builder did a very nice job but apparently wasn't concerned about lights so he didn't install any. I would like to add them and it looks like the Zip Tips would take care of this improvement. I've searched for info on this but as of yet have been unable to find anything comprehensive.
I read that the first ones didn't fit so well, and that later ones even didn't align with the ailerons. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !
Philip White

I have paid for a set of ZipTips Winglets for my RV-14A, but haven't yet received them. I've been keeping up with various reports from builders regarding the installations. You can find a lot of their experiences on YouTube.

As I understand it, with some ratcheting straps you can align the ends of the tips to the ailerons. It takes some manhandling, but if you get the alignment adjusted correctly prior to drilling your holes you'll get a good match of the tips to the neutral aileron position.

RV-4?
Go simple with the tips you have if they already fit well.
If no light cutouts on the tip LE, I’d just put some Whelen three-way’s on.

Wing tips.

I looked at zip tips but in the end went with this option and we love them!
https://flyleds.com/products/#!/The-Works-Wingtip-Lighting-Kit/p/105662651

I love FlyLED's lights and they have nothing but good reviews from this forum. However, I don't believe they make a kit for the old RV wingtips.

I put Whalens on with the (~heavy) power unit way up front and 3 ways on the tips. I like them! And still have the old bulbs in them.

I used wing tip lights that are no longer available, unfortunately. RMD has gone out of business. Love them! You might be able to make your own but would be a major PITA. There might be other options out there.....

Attachments

• IMG805.jpg
    IMG805.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG808.jpg
    IMG808.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I love FlyLED's lights and they have nothing but good reviews from this forum. However, I don't believe they make a kit for the old RV wingtips...

I used wing tip lights that are no longer available, unfortunately. RDT has gone out of business. Love them! You might be able to make your own but would be a major PITA. There might be other options out there.....

Not sure which wingtips are being discussed but the very bottom of this page looks like a possibility with regard to FLYLeds.

Roger-H-5-Sml.jpg

RMD wingtip lights for RV-4

Not sure which wingtips are being discussed but the very bottom of this page looks like a possibility with regard to FLYLeds. IMG]https://flyleds.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Roger-H-5-Sml.jpg[/IMG]

Those are, indeed, the RMD light tips. But what he is saying is that if you already have these tips installed, his units will go well with them.

His triple light group is on my "think I need these" list! I already have the strobes but might just have to add those; can one have too many lights?

Thanks Brad, you beat me to it! Michael, please see above our The Original kit to suit and Quad Spotlights... If you have a tail dragger The Combo lights fit here as well.

To the OP Philip, I'll assume you have Van's original W415 "Flat-top" or Hoerner wingtips with no corner light bays. There were a few mod kits made over the years, including the very large RMD designs one shown above. If you're not afraid of doing some fiberglass work we sell a kit to suit Van's original mod kit, and we even sourced the lenses from the original manufacturer. Due to their shipping size we keep these at our distributor Flyboy Accessories.
Pics courtesy of another forum member:

image 6 Large.jpeg image 2 Large.jpeg

Another approach you could take is to swap your wingtips over. The early RV-6 W-715 "Batwing" wingtips will fit your wings, as do the current style RV7/8 W-715-1 wingtips, both of which have light bays already. You could find yourself doing trades here, as your wingtips are still sought after by some builders.

I can vouch for the quality and intensity of the FlyLeds wingtip lights - I’ve had them on two of my RV’s. In fact in the pictures mentioned above at the bottom of that page, the yellow winged RV4 with the red wingtip is mine. The boards I originally got for that airplane didn’t fit, so I sent them back with a template for my cutouts, and Paul made new ones to fit my unusual cutouts. AND he hand delivered them to me at Oshkosh - at the backyard beer party on Monday afternoon. Now that’s service!!

Many thanks !
The wingtips on my -4 are rounded with no flat areas to mount lights, and no provision for a light mount on the rudder. The Zip-Tips seem like an all in one solution without having to become a fiberglas expert.

Thank you Paul, you are correct, I have the older tips, it would appear, with no provision for light bays or a flat area for nav lights......I'm doing my research. Thanks for the info

Thanks Brad, you beat me to it! Michael, please see above our The Original kit to suit and Quad Spotlights... If you have a tail dragger The Combo lights fit here as well.

To the OP Philip, I'll assume you have Van's original W415 "Flat-top" or Hoerner wingtips with no corner light bays. There were a few mod kits made over the years, including the very large RMD designs one shown above. If you're not afraid of doing some fiberglass work we sell a kit to suit Van's original mod kit, and we even sourced the lenses from the original manufacturer. Due to their shipping size we keep these at our distributor Flyboy Accessories.
Pics courtesy of another forum member:

View attachment 38359 View attachment 38360

Another approach you could take is to swap your wingtips over. The early RV-6 W-715 "Batwing" wingtips will fit your wings, as do the current style RV7/8 W-715-1 wingtips, both of which have light bays already. You could find yourself doing trades here, as your wingtips are still sought after by some builders.

Back