What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

You mean the other aft

wispilot

I'm New Here
Funny after staring at the plans before I countersinked and dimpled HS-603 PP, HS-714 and HS-710 in the wrong direction for the four flush rivets. My guess is somewhere a year from now try and install the horizontal stab to the fuselage there is going to be a clearance issue.

Anyone else make this mistake? Replace the parts?:confused:

If it was just dimpling, you could dimple the other direction and be OK. But you have a countersink that is on the wrong way. If it were me...at that particular spot...I'd replace the parts that needed it.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

John, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

I am not really following your written description, any chance you could put up a photo of the parts??

If you have trouble with getting the photo to appear, dont worry many (most?) folks have a problem at first. There is a link to instructions for posting photos just under the VAF logo at the top left of every page.

Good luck, and again ---- welcome.

I would email Vans but just off the top of my head I would say if you dimpled in the wrong direction, you could fix it. If you countersunk the wrong side, I would replace it.

Are you talking about the HS-702 spar connection to the HS-710 and HS-714? If so, and you countersunk the HS-710 and HS-714's on the wrong side, then I think you have a parts replacement situation.

In the picture below, you should have the dimples on the HS-702's (forward spar) as shown, the matching countersinks should be done to accept these dimples.

2011-05-14-00.09.52.jpg

If not, then yes, you will have clearance issues when attaching the Vertical Stabilizer down the road once the Horizontal Stabilizer is mounted to the fuselage using the holes just outboard of the dimpled holes (do not put a rivet in these).

If you dimpled the HS-702 the wrong way, then you could reverse dimples to fit into the new correctly countersunk HS-710 and HS-714.

You mention the HS-603PP spar (rear spar), but that does not interface the HS-710 or HS-714 nor should it be dimpled or countersunk anywhere.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back