What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yoke Flex Question

MJarreau

Well Known Member
I am new to all of this so bear with me.

When doing some practice (AN470AD4-6) on some thick test material (pneumatic squeezer, standard yoke), the yoke flexed. When I measured the shop head of the rivet, it was still not short/wide enough, so more squeezing was necessary. I don't like the sound of breaking objects, particularly those with enough power to adjust my attitude :eek:, so I did not add any more washers to the set.

I was able to make a not-so-precise measurement of the opening on the yoke when it was under no pressure, and when it was being stressed. The yoke stressed about 3/64".

Am I being a wimp and should I get over it, or am I misinterpreting squeezer use?

Building is a blast! Shouldn't have waited so long (11 years) to start.

Best regards,
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tighten mine up till it gives me what I want. Different yokes flex different amounts. Over time you will get a feel for how many turns, or washers it takes from just touching...

Michael,

Glad to see you are enjoying the build!

Do yourself a favor and get the adjustable set for the squeezer. It makes life so much better!

Like Ron says, it takes time to get to know the squeezer and the yokes. The squeezer develops most of its power during the very last part of the stroke so if you adjust it too tight, it will just stop without breaking your yoke.

Back