What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yet another baffle question

Lars

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just to put the thought to rest, yes, I've searched...

So, any thoughts on what the baffle ramp to cowl inlet clearance should be, looking in plan (vertically downward) view? The photo shows the dimension in question. The plans don't show a number but imply that it's small (zero?) Right now that's about how I've cut the ramps. I did set the clearance per plans for the seal fabric, impossible to see in my photo.

I can get the lower cowl on past the ramps just fine, but I'm concerned about tearing up baffles/seals/cowl if things are too close. I have no practical experience to draw on so advice is gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

916505597_8mhUH-L.jpg

I went with around 3/16". My thought is that engine is gonna shake like a wet dog.

gap.JPG

You will need clearance to get the cowl on and off and to flip your baffle seal up on top of the metal....

Also your engine will rotate around its axis a bunch during startup and shutdown and with hit anything in sight!!

Plan on really beefing up your oil cooler mount corner if your mounting your cooler there...I am going to have to rework my entire corner due to cracks....I hoped the new baffles with the new stiffener would not have this issue...NOT!!!!!!

Last edited:
Jeff, nice photo, thanks!

I see the wet dog shake on my hangar partner's plane all the time (a BD-4, but I've let that go) which is what got me worried.

Brian, I followed your build and have appreciated your helpful posts, thanks! Yep, #4 baffle is already seriously beefed up based on what I've read here. Once I get the plans part of the baffling done and have added ignition wires, etc, I intend to figure out a brace to triangulate the thing. Seems like a key addition for the guys that have had long term success.

Yes...

You will need clearance to get the cowl on and off and to flip your baffle seal up on top of the metal....

Also your engine will rotate around its axis a bunch during startup and shutdown and with hit anything in sight!!

Plan on really beefing up your oil cooler mount corner if your mounting your cooler there...I am going to have to rework my entire corner due to cracks....

You will want to do something like this.

Kent

Yes sir, absolutely, and put a stiff angle in the corner instead of that broke edge on the sheet metal...

Back