What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

YesWelder 205P TIG/Stick Welder - Review

HFS

Well Known Member
I alluded to this welder in another post the other day, and someone responded about a possible review when I had completed some mods I thought it needed.

Well, here it is - the short answer is you get a lot for your money, but it's way better for the fine kind of welding we do on our airplanes if it is modified to accept a lightweight SuperFlex power/gas hose w/a #9 air-cooled torch; and, a reostat driven foot control to give better heat control.

The torch it comes with (a modified #17 w/a on-off switch on the handle), is better suited for Panzer tank repair than fine tuned, close in work. I didn't try it with the bigger torch and hose because I was pretty sure that it's size/weight was going to be a non-starter for me. YMMV - but you better be related to a gorilla to make it work!

I also opted to add the optional reostat foot control for better heat control - glad I did that, Much better than the "single point" setting available with the larger torch.

In order to mate the SuperFlex power hose with the 205 I needed to make an "adapter" to go from 16mm x 1.5 mm (metric fine) to 3/8" - 24 NF, with the correct sealing aspects built into each end. I did it using fastener parts available "off the shelf" and a little machine work, but could have also been done with a drill press, some jigging and hand tools.

All up cost (less SuperFlex hose & #9 torch) is around $300 (Amazon), compared to my Miller of $ (a lot). Hint: I could buy >15 of these before I approximated the cost of the Miller ...

The attached pics show the face of the machine, closeup of the adapter & the first bead (fillet w/SiB rod)

It may quit tomorrow - but if it doesn't, it's a steal for a 110/220V - 205 Amp, 11 lb welder.

HFS

Attachments

• YesWelder 205P.jpg
    YesWelder 205P.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 215
  • YesWelder 205P - Power Hose Adapter .jpg
    YesWelder 205P - Power Hose Adapter .jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 167
  • YesWelder 205P - First Bead (Fillet).jpg
    YesWelder 205P - First Bead (Fillet).jpg
    426 KB · Views: 268
205DS

I have the 205DS. I wish I was a better welder. It really has some capability. I don't have gas so it's just used for goofing around mig work. I made some skis for my snow blower. Made a Discada. A few other embarrassing projects.
It's fun.

Is the yes welder a HF start or lift start in the TIG mode? Also, is it AC/DC or just DC? I sold my nice Miller Syncrowave when I moved last spring, and now regretting that decision I am in the market for a replacement.

Yes welder

Is the yes welder a HF start or lift start in the TIG mode? Also, is it AC/DC or just DC? I sold my nice Miller Syncrowave when I moved last spring, and now regretting that decision I am in the market for a replacement.

It's AC/DC. I don't know the answer to the TIG question.
However, there is a Yes Welder Facebook group. They are veey quick to reply and Yes representatives also frequent the group. Customer service is excellent.
I also have one of the helmets. It works well.

Source for extras?

Thanks for the great review. Can you help me to source the torch, hose and foot control?
Thanks!
Steve Ashby

Sourcing "Extras" for YesWelder 205P

Like everything else in this world these days - Amazon is the "go to" place! Say is ain't so - who likes monopolies, right!

Just be careful in "ferreting" out the correct hose and #9 air cooled, flexible (F suffix) torch. The foot control is there too, as an "add on" for the 205P welder.

Contrary to Wirejock's AC/DC comment - the 205P is a DC machine only. I mean what can you expect for $225 ...

With the foot control installed it does have HF start and reostat control for the arc source.

YMMV - but I like mine so far (fingers crossed).

HFS -

(559) 816-0433

I would suggest getting a 25' hose instead of the 12 1/2 - you'd be surprised how quickly you can run out of "length" just when it's needed.

I just saw on the YesWelder.com website that the "Christmas" price for this machine has dropped to $199 w/free shipping - don't git no bettern 'at!

Last edited:
DC

Like everything else in this world these days - Amazon is the "go to" place! Say is ain't so - who likes monopolies, right!

Just be careful in "ferreting" out the correct hose and #9 air cooled, flexible (F suffix) torch. The foot control is there too, as an "add on" for the 205P welder.

Contrary to Wirejock's AC/DC comment - the 205P is a DC machine only. I mean what can you expect for $225 ...

With the foot control installed it does have HF start and reostat control for the arc source.

YMMV - but I like mine so far (fingers crossed).

HFS -

(559) 816-0433

I would suggest getting a 25' hose instead of the 12 1/2 - you'd be surprised how quickly you can run out of "length" just when it's needed.

Yep. My mistake. I know nothing about welding. It's just fun to play and make a mess on non-airplane stuff.

Which torch do you recommend, David? It's hard to tell from the photos and part numbers On the YesWelder site what's what. At least for a non-welder ignorant guy like myself.

Dave

Welders

Which torch do you recommend, David? It's hard to tell from the photos and part numbers On the YesWelder site what's what. At least for a non-welder ignorant guy like myself.

Dave

David knows far more, but here's my take.
It kinda depends on what you want to do (process).
The 205P is a Tig machine. My 205DS is a multi process. Primarly a Mig/stick machine but it will do Tig. It doesn't come with the hose for gas Mig or Tig. I just use .032 flux wire Mig. It's 110 or 220. Obviously less power in 110 but plenty for little stuff. I actually have a 6-50 receptacle so I can run full blast. I also have a pig tail to plug into my Honda 3000 inverter for working away from the shop.
You're welcome to come up and weld some scrap stuff with it if you want to try it. It's really amazing what you get for the cost.
David please correct me if I'm wrong.

Another discount

I went to the Yeswelder site as suggested for the $199 price and once it’s in the cart they offer another $20 discount. I don’t know how long it lasts.
Thanks David.

Last edited:

Dave

Most of these Tig welders come with a #17 torch for a reason. You can run them well over 150 amps for a decent amount of time before they become too hot to handle. The OP downgraded to a #9, which IIRC is only rated for 125 amps and will get hot quickly at that current. The 9's are great from a usability stand point, but just can't deal with thicker metal for any meaningfull length of time. 1/8" steel is going to require ~125 amps. You just can't weld very long on a 9 torch at that level. If you need the small size, you get a water cooled 9, as those can run 120 amps for a long time. If you are just learning and playing, this is no real issue. But if you intend to tackle a larger project on 1/8" or thicker steel, I don't see how you can get away with a #9. If you truly intend to learn Tig, learn to use a 17. If your goal is aircraft tube work, then a 9 is perfect, as you will be welding around 50 amps and it is MUCH better for tight spaces as the cups are also smaller.

I have the primeweld 225 and very happy with it. However, it is in a different category than the yeswelder and probably 3x the price. I don't even own a 9 torch, as many of my projects are on 1/8" or thicker steel or alum, which is even higher current. I fully agree with the superflex hose. They are really nice to work with.

Last edited:
Apples & Oranges

Point of information - I have been TiG welding since Linde (Houston) started making the first "HeliArc" machines way (way) back - suffice it to say "a while".

While IRL72 is correct in his observation that a #9 (air cooled) is "rated" at 125 A, it will, with a relatively short "duty cycle" weld up to 150A (~3/16 plate). If you need more "energy", just add water cooling (#20 torch), same size torch, but now with a capability of 250A - pretty much handling anything most of us DIYers might need.

Since most of my welding is either thin wall architectural or 4130 Grade aircraft tubing - I really never need anything bigger than a #9 torch. Unless you have hands the size of a gorilla's, you will find, I think, using a #17 torch to be awkward unless you use the "stubby" option for cups, collets, etc., reducing the working "height" of it.

When I need more "umph" - I do change torches to a #17 (same SuperFlex hose - takes about 2 minutes) to do the job. Then back to a #9 when done - just me, but torch heads are pretty inexpensive, and the convenience of using the smaller one where I can, more than makes up for changing them once in a while.

YMMV - but that's what I do, and why

HFS

Back