What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yay! progress again finally..

osxuser

Well Known Member
I just broke down and ordered the rudder parts I messed up...

Looks like I'll finish my empenage soon!

I just had to share :D

right there with ya. I've had the parts for rudder 2.0 on the shelf for about 6 months. I hope to finish the rudder some time next week, after the elevators are all done.

Nice to seem someone at about the same stage I am! Check out my site. Got the elevator leading edge rolled. Take the advice of others that have preceded me. Don't use a 1"dowel. Get a 3/4" one, it works better. Mine turned out OK but the smaller dowel would help make them nicer. Now deciding on paint, because I think I'm going to paint as I go.

Hey Stephen, good to see it goin' again. I've been checking out your site from time to time and was beginning to wonder... =)

nice work!!

I wouldnt sweat it too much dude...my completed emp has been hanging in the ceiling for months[waiting for funds to bring my wings home]. Just took a look at your websight and see that you have joined the club of "didnt see on the plans to trim hs skins a half an inch for the elevator counter weights to fit right".....I'm personally a founding member of the New Mexico chapter.Seems that i read every week about someone else making the same mistake except noone else seemes to have done there fibreglass work before they discovered there mistake like I did!!

Oh great. I didn't trim the skins either. But I have yet to pull my HS down from the rafters and try the fit.

I guess I'll post that update as it happens.

look close

if you look very closely at the drawing you will see a cross-hatched area that indicates where you will trim, after i discovered my little mess-up i trimmed with the Dremmel a couple of times and ended up with what i think is a good fit.Good luck.

I feel a little better. My rudder parts showed up today, along with the stuff to fix another little mistake I haven't quite owned up to yet... :D.

Yup.. Sure enough.. had to trim the skins.. No biggie.. wound up taking off about an inch. This is the only way the rod-end bearings set at Van's spec would give me the required 1/8" of clearance. Careful though.. Leave room for filing, rounding corners and deburring. But the elevator swings smooth and true! Now I need to find a way to add lead to the counterweight on the left side.

Back