What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XM Radio Audio is Distorted

MartySantic

Well Known Member
XM Radio Audio is Distorted - NOW Fixed!!

I tried the XM radio SAMPLE channel for the first time today BUT the audio was distorted. Have always had it muted using the option in the 496 up until now.

Sounds like the XM audio is overdriving the audio/switch panel and/or the intercom circuitry.

Is there a level adjustment? Wonder if one of the pots behind the panel can HELP?

Last edited:
I tried the XM radio SAMPLE channel for the first time today BUT the audio was distorted. Have always had it muted using the option in the 496 up until now.

Sounds like the XM audio is overdriving the audio/switch panel and/or the intercom circuitry.

Is there a level adjustment? Wonder if one of the pots behind the panel can HELP?

Marty,

I found this earlier thread regarding similar problems. Looks like the issue may have to do with your output selection.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/archive/index.php?t-13058.html

Stein????

Marty,

I found this earlier thread regarding similar problems. Looks like the issue may have to do with your output selection.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/archive/index.php?t-13058.html

Thanks. I did change the 496 sound tab option from LINE OUT to HEADPHONES and the XM audio is much better. Strange though.....the volume slider on the 496 still functions even though LINE OUT is selected. LINE OUT is usually a fixed level.

With LINE OUT selected (the default setting) the audio remains distorted even if I turn it down. With HEADPHONES selected I detect just a bit of distortion throughout the volume control slider range. As John Peck has mentioned, maybe there is an impedance mismatch when LINE OUT is selected.

So unless there is a specific reason to select LINE OUT, I will leave the 496in the HEADPHONE mode.

ANOTHER CASE where a complete switch panel schematic diagram would be most helpful so we could troubleshoot.

Maybe Stein can comment on the LINE OUT vs HEADPHONES setting in the 496. The 496 manual is lacking here.

Last edited:
Just FYI

I have also seen where XM audio quality was not up to the normal standard when using a Bose headset. This was due to wrong switch settings in the Bose headset. I believe it was switch #6, but don't hold me to that.

Thanks. I did change the 496 sound tab option from LINE OUT to HEADPHONES and the XM audio is much better. Strange though.....the volume slider on the 496 still functions even though LINE OUT is selected. LINE OUT is usually a fixed level.

With LINE OUT selected (the default setting) the audio remains distorted even if I turn it down. With HEADPHONES selected I detect just a bit of distortion throughout the volume control slider range. As John Peck has mentioned, maybe there is an impedance mismatch when LINE OUT is selected.

So unless there is a specific reason to select LINE OUT, I will leave the 496in the HEADPHONE mode.

ANOTHER CASE where a complete switch panel schematic diagram would be most helpful so we could troubleshoot.

Maybe Stein can comment on the LINE OUT vs HEADPHONES setting in the 496. The 496 manual is lacking here.

Thought I would post an update. Selecting the HEADPHONE mode on the SOUND tab in the Garmin 496 has resolved my audio distortion problem. I plugged in better set of stereo headphones and the sound from the XM radio, and from my iPod plugged into the RV-12 audio input jack is VERY GOOD. :):)

I have a 496 feeding a mono aux input to my intercom. I bridged the left and right channels of the stereo output, and while the XM sample feed sounded ok (albeit now in mono), the voice alerts were distorted and unusable. I hooked it up to an aux audio input on my KX125 with the same result. I figured that maybe the channels from the voice alert feed from the Garmin were out of phase, so I removed the bridge and took it from one channel only, which did the trick. FWIW.

Back