What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XCOM

pittsultimate

I'm New Here
I've had the Xcom radio for about 2.5 yrs now. Don't know what version that is. I have the radio and remote head mounted in my Pitts S1. I'm using the Clarity Aloft headsets. I don't think I have ever properly set up the radio properly to handle the extremely noisy environment of the Pitts. I do know that as of recently I have had problems hearing tower and ground at high RPM's and have had to 7600 some landings. They have always claimed to have heard me fine. And taxiing everything is loud and clear (low RPM's). My ATIS freq is completely unreadable. Should I adjust the mic gain and side tone from the factory settings? Does the radio need updating? Or am I expecting more than the unit can deliver being in that aircraft. Pitts are notorious for having horrible communication.

I've had the Xcom radio for about 2.5 yrs now. Don't know what version that is. I have the radio and remote head mounted in my Pitts S1. I'm using the Clarity Aloft headsets. I don't think I have ever properly set up the radio properly to handle the extremely noisy environment of the Pitts. I do know that as of recently I have had problems hearing tower and ground at high RPM's and have had to 7600 some landings. They have always claimed to have heard me fine. And taxiing everything is loud and clear (low RPM's). My ATIS freq is completely unreadable. Should I adjust the mic gain and side tone from the factory settings? Does the radio need updating? Or am I expecting more than the unit can deliver being in that aircraft. Pitts are notorious for having horrible communication.

Email Michael Coats, XCOM and you should have an answer in a few days. Rocket Bob has a good working knowledge of XCOM also.

Welcome to VAF. :D

Radio squelch should be 2 clicks above static.

Antennas are almost always a problem in fabric covered aircraft due to improper installation. Is there a proper ground plane? What kind of feedline was used? How is it terminated at the antenna? What kind of antenna?

Couple of thoughts,

I notice that the XCOM has a built in intercom, is that disabled?

Can you describe what you get over the radio? Static? High freq clicking? Nothing?

I've got an S1 as well and have had to deal with a few radio issues too. I was getting noise from the mags which gets a lot worse with RPM and seemed to get worse throughout the flight, I think it was as the mags heated up but I'm not certain.

I just have to laugh. Are these planes ever finished? I contacted Mike at XCOM, I asked him about mic gain, side tone, etc. he said my problem was probably a bad ground which is the issue 98% of the time. Today when the engine was off, we checked all the grounds with an ohm meter and everything was correct. Now that is "Static". meaning the only thing on was the master switch. No prop turning, no engine. We then checked the atis freq 132.10 (we had a hand held avail to cross check) There was no static when the squelch was at 23 but there was also no atis. Turning the squelch down to about 15,16 or so revealed major static and a very faint atis, "unreadable". Tower freq at 135.0 and ground 125.0 at a squelch of 23 was "Loud and clear" Keep in mind tower is less than 100 yards from my hangar. And again the engine is not even on.

To answer rocketbob's questions,
1. Bob archer antenna
2. metal straps wrap around the top steel tube of the fuselage and are riveted to the bottom of the antenna.
3. The turtle deck is wood and sits on top of the steel tubing. The antenna is attached to the inside of the wood.

I have pics that I can email you if you would like.

Mike at XCOM had no idea and suggested I just send the radio back to him and they will go over it. That is a huge undertaking removing a radio from a Pitts. Would love an alternate idea if possible. Good to know that Xcom is willing if need be.

Radio and remote head should be back to him by now, also sent my antenna analyzer to check the antenna.

Back