What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WWII B25 pilot

TomSpencer46

Patron
Yesterday had the honor to give a ride in my RV10 to a WWII B25 pilot.
He is 97 and sharp as a tack. After leveling off I gave him the controls he can still handle a stick. His only complaint was he could not make sense of the Garmin panel. Thanks for your service Norm.
AF1QipOGniv4b6bV3WwidSJ9uodn-Bnzm3D-33KxL2-X

Very nice - thanks for doing that and sharing it.

Maybe 32 years ago, BRV (before the RV), I had the honor of taking up a B-17 and B-29 pilot up. He had a bunch of missions in WWII and then the B-29 in Korea. Amazing history.

He is 97 and sharp as a tack. After leveling off I gave him the controls he can still handle a stick. His only complaint was he could not make sense of the Garmin panel. Thanks for your service Norm.

Wow 97! Handling the stick is one thing but getting in and out of a 10 at age 97 that has to be an accomplishment in itself. Good on you for taking him up.

Keith

That’s an amazing story Tom. Might you have a picture you can share? I think that would make a wonderful top story on the website tomorrow.

Kindest regards,
dr

Last edited:
Gosh, that brought back a memory. I had the privilege of giving my Uncle a ride at OSH in '89. He was a B-25 pilot but was switched to 17's due to combat losses. Ended up doing 18 mos in a prison camp. He stayed with the AF, and was the CO of one of the Laos fighter bases during Vietnam.

What you did was special and I can appreciate it!

Back