What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WTB airfield house in Ga

brianwallis

VAF moderator
Wanted pvt airstrip lot

Somewhere near Atl. Empty lot with airstrip access. 3000 foot minimum. With a full time job in Conyers and two other business going, my time is a premium. Can fly to work in the -3 so up to 70 miles from Atl is ok. Please PM. I'm a mechanic so please no outrageous asking prices. Cannot afford to waste a penny. Long term vision is off the grid renewable energy powered aircraft Mx shop.
Best
Brian

Last edited:
Mallards Landing GA04

Brian, call me if you can this evening and I can tell you about Mallards Landing on the South side of Atlanta. I have lived there for almost 8 years, and I commute regularly to PDK in the 7 or the 10 (well not the 7 any more as it has a new owner). I've been able to commute the last 5 weeks straight. :) It's a wonderful community with some lots for sale, homes for sale, and nice covenants so it looks like a regular community when you drive around the streets.

Vic
404-307-5133

If you want a hanger only

There is a nice grass strip in Monticello GA. GA06 Monticello Sky Ranch. The lot prices are reasonable and not too far from ATL

Gary Specketer
770-403-3450

Looking for a house and hanger combo in Georgia, I work full time in Conyers and need something....
Best
Brian Wallis

My buddy is selling his hangar home here in Peach Co. It is at the edge of your ATL requirement but is a great location. In the country but not far from civilzation, long, straight, and flat strip. It has a very big hangar with an upper level apt.
Call me and I will give you his #. 478-213-2555 Bruce

Nervous....

The good news is Audra and I have a Christmas Present coming, Dec 4th or so.... the bad news is we still live in a 1 bdr apt trying to save money. I don't want her or I to lug a kid up 3 flights of stairs. I also need to be able to be close to the airport to get work done on the nights and weekends. I work in Conyers when I'm in town and in Lawerenceville Ga nights and weekends after work. I found a great house that is a bit much for our budget especially with a kid on the way but it has an insulated hanger on a 3000 ft grass strip. President Obama just submitted some sort of tax proposal for 100 bucks ON EACH FLIGHT for aircraft in controlled airspace. I can't afford to buy a house on a private airstrip I can't sell if the aviation market dumps. Any input?
The pros..... I can work at home and be with her and the kid..... We also don't have to take a kid up and down 2 or 3 flights of stairs, we get a real house... I also put a lot of money a month towards a mortgage instead of some hanger I don't and will never own.

Cons.... Obama passes the tax thing and the aviation industry fails completely and the home is now an unsellable asset... although probably still a much cooler man cave than anybody else has....
input? NO POLITICAL THREAD DRIFT PLEASE.....
I'm looking around and each one seems to have it's own set of issues... taxes, trees, runway length, can't build a house etc... I've found a place that seems to be right but the price is a bit high for our budget and the tax proposition is really making me nervous.... I need to be sure that I'm making the right decision.

Last edited:
Brian, I made a similar decision about 3 years ago. If the opportunity has some amount of land, then it has plenty of non-aviation uses if your worse-case scenario were to happen. I actually don't think the worst will happen (at least not all at once).

If banks will do a standard mortgage then that tells you they don't think the value will tank. It was this measure that caught me. The banks said my structures were risky (not cookie cutter main stream enough) but the land was good so on the combination, I got a loan. On the hangar/house alone, they would not do the deal.

"Butts".....

Brian, it wasn't that long ago that I found myself in the same situation you now find yourself in. I found that if you ask 100 people for advice on what to do, you'll get 100 different answers. "Butt"...

...Here's what I would do...

Go for the hangar-home combo. This will undoubtably afford you more time with the family. I can tell you that the best part of my job is not the flying (although it's still super cool), it's walking through the door at home after being gone and seeing the little one (and momma ;) ) light up like the Fourth of July. You'll soon know what I'm talking about.

As far as the President's latest idea - worry about it, but don't agonize over it. User fees have been on the horizon for us for decades and as long as it can be prevented from being implemented, it will continue to loom on the horizon being pushed by those who desire to see it happen. One of the wonderful freedoms we enjoy in this great nation is the ability to voice our opposition to something we feel is detrimental. Write your Congressmen and Senators. Write to AOPA, NBAA, EAA and all the other groups that help to promote what puts food on our plate and a roof over our heads. We all have a voice - we cannot be afraid to use it.

A home is an asset. I wouldn't waste too much energy on what the value of the home will be if aviation tanks. And think, just how likely is it that the ENTIRE aviation world ceases to exist? The age in which we live relies too heavily on it. It would be like a world with out cars. Yes, airports do dissapear - case in point, the old Panama CIty Beach airport. It's being turned into a residential development. But, there will always been a need for people to live in some type of shelter. Who's to say that if the aviation world goes completely away that the airpark doesnt become just another regular neigboorhood? All I'm saying is a home is a home is a home. And besides, it would be the coolest man cave around!

One other thing I'll direct your attention to is to understand what your budget is going to look like once "Wallis One" arrives at the gate. After our little munchkin arrived, Christin went back to substituting at the schools to help cover the expenses, but we soon realized that she had to substitute a minimum of 3 days per week just to pay for the child care! Not exactly what we had in mind! Diapers, wipes, formula, baby food, clothes (good god, the clothes. How something with so little fabric can cost so much is beyond the computing power of this cpu...) all cost more than I had anticipated. We made it work though, and you will too. Its amazing the motivation power of those little eyes looking up at you at bed time.

We're all familiar with the old saying the opinions are like butts - everyone has one. This "butt" says that if the home/hangar is workable in the budget, then go for it and don't think twice. Can you think of a better place to raise a little one? I can't!

I'm off to give alittle attention to a little butt that smells...fragrant.... :cool:

daniel

regarding aviation use tax:

The fee would apply to all operators flying in controlled airspace, with the exception of military aircraft, public aircraft, recreational piston aircraft, air ambulances, aircraft operating outside of the controlled airspace and Canada-to-Canada flights.

Back