What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wrong carb supplied with Superior engine

carguy614

Well Known Member
Hi all..
Thanks for the responses on my carb offset thread. Seems it has opened up a brand new can o worms. Looks like I have the wrong carb for my engine. PMA slip states that the carb application is for an O360. I have a 320. Barrett Engines dyno tested this engine and carb, so apparently it runs... But the problem is that the carb won't fit under the cowl without reworking the lower section. Precision Airmotive stopped making the carbs, so I may be in a fix. I wonder if Superior rejetted this MA4-5 carb to work with the 320. Calls will be initiated Monday to Superior. Anyone else faced this situation yet, or am I "Big Number One"

Thanks...Chris

Hi all..
Anyone else faced this situation yet, or am I "Big Number One"

I'm 99.9% sure that a friend of mine, had the same exact situation. Ended up with the replacement carb, that is a few inches shorter. He's building a 9A too.

L.Adamson

Chris,

Also watch out for adequate clearance between the air box and cowl on the port side. My experience is limited to 6s and the very similar-to-9s 7s, but in each instance the offset located the box too close to the cowl when using Van's prepunched mounting plate. Upon start-up, rebound from kicking the prop to speed will crash the box into the side of the cowl. You need at least 3/4" clearance, and this might require remaking the mounting plate with a hole pattern as far to port (which move the box to starboard) as possible. Limits are established by fastener clearance around the filter.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

I just talked with the RV9A builder, who also had the longer (in height) carb for his Superior 0-320.

Superior had some carbs in stock, and sent a replacement before the the other was even shipped back.

L.Adamson

Back