What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wrinkled skin screwing in tie down ring

mark manda

Well Known Member
anybody wrinkle their bottom wing skin trying to screw in the tie down rings from Van's?

I almost did. :eek: someone was mentioning this a couple mos ago? 7A QB wings.

I am thinking that a spot of weld about 1/4" up from the base of the threads will stop it in time.

I suppose that when the time comes, I may do that. This way, if I toss the rings to a non flying friend they won't screw them in too deeply.

:) CJ

I tapped it just deep enough so that the threads stop just an 1/8 inch from the end. (i'll make it sound like i planned it.)

Actually I was surprised to find that the bar stock with a small hole in it was not drilled or tapped. but it shows on the plans that they need to be 3/8" 16.

and since I couldn't see; the eye bolt grabbed the skin when a dumb s... (me)started screwing it in.... :eek:

I don't see the issue

I don't see what the big deal is. Yeah, my skin would get crunched a bit if I threaded the rings all the way in. So I don't.

Once the rope or chain is hooked up to it, it's not like it's gonna rotate in any further on its own. And in my opinion, having all but a few threads engaged in there is plenny-good.

What's the big deal? I must be missing something.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (751 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

it depends tom- the rings that Van's sell are the ones with shoulders.

So, in my case-- I actually need to grind down the threads another 1/4". Then I would be closer to the skin for looks. and they would bottom out before touching skin.

I guess the bottom line is-- the mount needs tapping (in the wings) and everything depends on the length of your newly tapped threads.

HTH mark

Back