What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would I like relocating to NE Dallas?

Rick S.

Well Known Member
I have been in negotiations and It's looking pretty good with a building material company headquartered in NE part of Dallas. I guess I'm looking for something to discourage me from relocating. I'll take any information "Ya'll" can give me to help me make an informed decision. I have no football team loyalty so I can be a Cowboy fan without really lying.

Relocating

It depends on how much flying you want to do! We have multiple sports if you're into that (Rangers, Cowboys, Mavs, Stars, FC Dallas, etc.).
The weather is great for our number 1 hobby - flying RVs!

We have a great group of RV people in the DFW area and you can always find somebody willing to go somewhere with you in their RV. :)

From a flying perspective, the DFW area is a good one; not perfect, but good. We have better weather than most east of the Rockies. Lots of sun, not many days of hard IFR. Late spring and early summer can get windy and cloudy, and there's always a change of convective activity from about April through September. July and August are hot, really too hot to fly in the afternoons (turb and temps). This time of year is fantastic. Lots of RV activity in the Metroplex.

In terms of airports on the N and E sides, well ... ADS is busy and spendy, so you should avoid it unless you work/live right there and like having the airplane locally. Airpark (F69) is in the midst of a fight with developers right now and possibly could get a Megis Field-like midnight bulldozer attack. McKinney (TKI) is busy and less corporate than ADS, but not much cheaper. Aero Country occasionally has lots for sale, but despite it being a public airport, there really aren't any public facilities. Going East, Rockwall is pretty basic and quiet, and Mesquite has good facilities and cheaper gas (although I don't go there due to the city's attitude against Sport Pilots and LSA).

As for actually living here ... It really depends on where you live. Being a big place, there's variety in the metroplex. However, most of the Dallas area is a suburban / exoburban type of layout - probably not that different from Vegas. You can find small town feel here but you have to look - and drive.

Just my $0.02; YMMV.

I think Fort Worth is better

I think Fort Worth is a little nicer place. It is the biggest small town in the country. Folks are nice and you can find just about anything you want here. Most importantly, the metroplex seems to be RV meca. I don't think you would be disappointed. Unless you have the need to roll the bones or play a little blackjack everyday.

If you're considering Dallas, look north of the metroplex (McKinney, Frisco, and north) or west (west ft worth, north fort worth, weatherford, etc.) I fly out of Addison... (member of a flying club, so Im stuck there) but it isn't as bad as alot of people make it out to be... The longest I have sat in the runup area is 10 mins tops over the past year of flying. Its like anything else, it has a rush hour, and it has slow days...

I think you'll like it here... LOTS of RV's and a large network of builders. And we're always looking for more! :)

Corporate office is located near Plano right at the Collin/Dallas/Denton county line. No need to toss money away gambling on my part, I have an airplane:)

Some folks have talked about going to Fort Worth and west. If you're working in NE Dallas (635/75 intersection?) and live west of Fort Worth, well, I hope you like spending time in your truck/car. That's quite a hike.

I fly out of Addison... (member of a flying club, so Im stuck there) but it isn't as bad as alot of people make it out to be... The longest I have sat in the runup area is 10 mins tops over the past year of flying. Its like anything else, it has a rush hour, and it has slow days...
My shortest time at ADS from getting to the "hold short" line for calling ground to starting the takeoff-roll has been about 2 minutes. The longest was 30 (Friday afternoon before Thanksgiving :(). Typically, it's no more than 5-10 mins, but it can get busy. We could really use a parallel taxiway and more intersection takeoffs to sequence turbine and non-turbine traffic separately. I fly from there because it's close to home and used to be close to work (switched jobs).

TODR

Absolutely

Rick,

As Doug (TODR) is saying, it really depends on where your office is as to where you want to live. It also depends on your families requirements.

If your office is around the 75/635 interchange (we call the Hi-5 interchange), then you will want to live north off of 75 (McKinney, Frisco, Allen) or east of 75 (Parker, Murphy, Wylie.)

If your office is more central to the 75/Dallas Tollway area, then I would reccommend the Addison, Carrollton, Farmers Banch areas.

If your office is more west in the 35/635 area, then you can live north off 35 (Farmers Branch, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Highland Village) or further East off the 635/114 area (Grapevine, Coppell, Irving.)

Any of the locations I would not consider ideal for traffic reasons. 635 can be a real PITA (Pain in the A**) in the morning and afternoon at everyone of the interchanges. I35E southbound at 635 is always a nightmare.

As for airports on that side of town, they are not a lot of options. I have a buddy who lives in north Dallas and has decided that Denton airport is the most convient to him. It takes about 35 mins for him to get there, but due to airport reasons it's the best.

Addison is really becoming a business jet airport for Dallas. I used to fly out of there all the time, and just like the others say it's busy and wait times can be lond. Also, don't plan on doing tough and goes because they really don't want you do it for traffic reasons. I always headed up to Aerocountry or McKinney to do them.

I hope this helps out. I have lived in the DFW area since 81 minus the 6 years I was on active duty. I moved back as soon as I got off active duty.

Mike

Early mornings and slow days (cloudy Sundays), ADS tower will let you do TNG's. Night flying out of ADS is a great experience.

North Texas

Rick,
Not sure if you remember me, but I came up several years ago from Phoenix to look at your project. Our family moved to North Tarrant county a couple of years ago and absolutely love it. We honestly didn't notice how much the heat was keeping us from doing stuff until we left. I will say that I do like the western portions of the Metroplex better but I wouldn't wish a commute from Fort Worth to Dallas on anybody. There are a lot of airports and airparks around here and I'm sure you could easily find a place for the 10. If you end up out here let me know and I will even come over to help you unload.

--Shawn
40366 Wings

new job sw of DFW

I may be moving to work at the FAA Center on the SW side of DFW across from the American Airlines training center. My biggest concern is the best schooling for my kids and 2nd is access to friendly community with minimum commute. What area would you move to if these were your priorities?
Thanks,
Craig

From?

It may depend a lot on from where...

From California maybe not so much, beach & ski near by (except the gun laws are much better in TX).

From North Dakota in the winter probably so...

Its central location in the US, with an RV, makes much of the country and Caribbean very accessible...

I may be moving to work at the FAA Center on the SW side of DFW across from the American Airlines training center. My biggest concern is the best schooling for my kids and 2nd is access to friendly community with minimum commute. What area would you move to if these were your priorities?
Thanks,
Craig

I live in Flower Mound and have raised a family here, it's growing like mad but has been a great place to live and raise kids. DFW airport is about 15 minutes away so easy commute.

Grapevine/Colleyville area is close, as Walt mentioned flower mound is also nice, but a little further north. I would not go any further south if looking for quality schools.

Moving to Texas

We moved from Chicago area 7 years ago after living in Chicago area for 23 years. Texas takes a while to get use to it, but once you do you will like it. I had a freshman in HS and 3rd grader at the time. They did not like the move one bit, but after a year I asked if they liked to move back and they said no. My wife being from Boston would not move back either. They find people in Texas to be much friendlier than in the midwest. Also, more respectful. Not sure if you have any kids, but we chose where we live based on SAT scores. We have found some very good schools. The theory is the neighborhood will be more desireable and housing prices will be more stable.

My oldest daughter at the time played a lot of tennis. Some of the best schools we played in the Dallas area were - Plano West and Highland Park. Dallas has more of a metropolitan feel than Houston.

Not sorry we moved to Texas!

Dave Syvertson
Sugar Land, Texas

Back