What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

World event: Two Norwegian RV-7's in the same pic for the first time ever!

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi all.

On Sunday this week, a little "world event" took place on the frozen lake "Mjøsa" situated by the town "Lillehammer": Bjørn Horne and me met up for lunch and some RV-talk.

This was the first time we met up with our -7's and since Bjørn and me have the only flying -7's in Norway, we joked about this beeing a small "world event".

Here's a few pics:

Here we are one our way to the lake at approx 2000' AGL:

As usual Cecilia was at the controls:

When we approached the lake, the sun came directly behind us and I snapped off a pic:

A few words about the temps by the way: (all temps in Celcius)
When we took off from your home airport Rygge, the OAT was -6*. Enroute is was beetween -5 and -9*.
When we decended from 2000' to pattern altitude, the OAT went from -9 at 2000' to -15 at 1000 and down on the ice it was..... -26* OAT!
That was some inversion.....

Anyway; here's the two RV's finally together for the first time....

Bjørn is still flying in phase 1 so he's flying alone.
He has installed a turbo H-6 Subie in his plane and it's working great so far.

After lunch in a nearby resturant, it was time to head home and here you can just spot the runway in the middle of the pic. It's marked by branches and they appear as small dark spots:

Here; a closer look at the parking area.
Note the old dock: it's where the local aeroclub keeps one of their planes during winter: they just push the plane in underneath the dock, put a few covers over the tailfeathers and then they have a nice hangar. It'll take some amount of snow to bring that hangar-roof down...!

Anyway; here's a closer look at the dock. Anyone needs a few chuncks of ice for their evening drink??

And finally a pic of some winter-art by the lake made by Mother Nature.... who said winter flying wasn't rewarding??

Soooo.... hope you enjoyed the pics. We sure did enjoy the trip!
By the way; we've never operated the RV in such low temps before and I can't exactly say that the cockpit was like a hot-tub, but it wasn't really a big problem either, as long as you dress right.... besides; with our winter-suits, we hadn't any problem after getting out of the plane and into the -26* air either...

Bjørn however, is always bragging about his nice and warm cockpit; no need for heavy clothing in a Subie RV he always says... but he paid the price after he had shut down and opened the canopy: he was shivering within a minute.... :D

Last edited:
Looking good, Alf.

I like winter flying and your pictures show the beauty of it. Too bad it's so far from Montana, I could fly over to make it an international event.:D

Back