What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workshop!

negearth

So, my wife and I moved into our first "real" house about 5 weeks ago... said real house includes a 2 1/2 car, heated & insulated garage! Needless to say, I've been spending way too much time getting the house set up- but the workshop is coming along nicely! Thought I'd share some pics of my newly-completed EAA tables. Enjoy!

100_1058.jpg

100_1086.jpg

100_1087.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! No excuse now, get busy building!!! :)

By the looks of your tables... your work on the RV is surely to be high quality.

What is the surface you have on the center / back rivet table?

It looks like the stuff you buy to put in your toolbox's drawer. I've put the exact same stuff on my table and it protects the parts. Get the rubber model, not the foam one. It will also prevent the parts from moving around.

Nice.........

..benches and tool set-up! Is it just me or did anyone else fail to see any aircraft parts/components in any of the photos?

Yeah, I've built a few models in my day. Figured it was time to strap on the real thing! :D

The surface material on the back-rivet table is the rubberized foam fabric like you'd use in tool box drawers. The surface of my back-rivet plate is just a smidge lower than this stuff, so hopefully scratches will be minimized. Here's a couple pics of the last model I built; hopefully my -7A will be just as nice!

Miniplanefront.jpg

Miniplanerearqtr.jpg

I've decided to go with www.planetools.com for their VERY complete RV tool package, and should be pounding empennage rivets by October. Woo-hoo!

Last edited:
organized nicely

Ah, so, that's what a neat and organized garage workshop looks like.

You wouldn't know by looking at mine. But then, I tend to retain and store various things in my garage. (I've saved shoelaces, used blind rivet pins, Aluminum scraps, wood scraps, dull drill bits, almost anything on the premise that it might come in handy sometime later.)

Good looking work area Negearth!

So, my wife and I moved into our first "real" house about 5 weeks ago... said real house includes a 2 1/2 car, heated & insulated garage! Needless to say, I've been spending way too much time getting the house set up- but the workshop is coming along nicely! Thought I'd share some pics of my newly-completed EAA tables. Enjoy!

100_1056.jpg

100_1057.jpg

100_1058.jpg

Hello neighbor :)

Where exactly are you? I'm in a townhouse (Woodhaven) with a 1 car garage, not heated but insulated. I am yet to pull the trigger and hopefully can organize well enough to still be able to park inside during winters.

Are you a pilot already? Where do you fly out of?

Skyflies- Google maps says we're about 2 minutes away from each other. It would be great to have a "building buddy" so close!

As far as piloting, I got my Private ticket in 2002 (47 hours). My logbook has 128 or so hrs, but unfortunately I'm not current at the moment. I've flown in and out of KPWK, KMDW, 06C, Galt, DuPage, Dekalb, Hinckley (love the grass strip!), Madison and Janesville Wi, Champaign IL, Winona MN, and quite a few others. I used to like going out to Whiteside IL and then up to Janesville for lunch.
At this point, all available resources are going into the -7A build and stuff for the new house, so it looks like I'm grounded for a while! :)

UPDATE: Compressor is installe and plumbed, tool are purchased, empennage kit has to wait until September :p

000_0020.jpg

We've all seen this compressor before, the Kobalt 30-gallon unit. Looks good in black! Still a noisy machine, but nothing like the oil-less units. Takes about 4 minutes to bring the tank up to 150 PSI from zero; this'll improve slightly as she breaks in. For now, I'm running 110v... 220 to be installed soon. I've been studying, and feel pretty confident that I'll be able to do it myself with out a problem. Just in case, my electrician buddy might supervise! ;)

You can see my shop plumbing here-

100_1079.jpg

I've turned 1 50' length of tubing into 2x 25' lengths, and used 1 as a semi-permanent shop line. Two coilies coming off that feed, with an additional regulator to turn shop pressure (90 psi) into Rivet pressure (approx 40 psi, or whatever I need). I can disconnect this from the feeder hose, and use the other 25' length as a floor-hose.

100_1079.jpg

This marks a major milestone, as my shop is now 95% complete, and actual building is in the (very) near future. To get to this stage is seriously exciting, and I can't wait to get started! Unfortunately, finances dictate that I have to be paient for a couple months, ha-ha ;)

Last edited:
Very nice shop!

I'm not too far from you guys...I'm building a -12 in Grayslake. I have the tail and wing kits.

On a side note, if you know of anyone in the area looking for a DRDT-2 I have one for sale.

Very nice shop!

I'm not too far from you guys...I'm building a -12 in Grayslake. I have the tail and wing kits.

Thanks for the compliment! If you ever want a tour and a beer, just let me know. I'd also be interested in seeing your progress first hand as well, if you're willing.

On a side note, if you know of anyone in the area looking for a DRDT-2 I have one for sale.

NOW you tell me! :p

Is that a loose carpet scrap down the center of the DRDT-2 throat, or is it secured at the ends?

Neither. I used silicone adhesive to stick the carpet down over the entire length of the throat. Worked great, and it'll peel right off whenever the time comes.

Thanks for the compliment! If you ever want a tour and a beer, just let me know. I'd also be interested in seeing your progress first hand as well, if you're willing.

There isn't too much progress to speak of just yet. I started building early July. I have the vertical stabilizer and rudder done. I have just started on the stabilator. Once I get going on the wings I will give you a shout.

Back