What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workshop Suggestions

I'm new to the group and to building, so I have a couple of questions:

1. Compressor - is the 30 gallon sufficient? I am considering doing my own painting and I know that takes more air volume. The difference in price between the 30 gal on wheels and the larger upright version is about $300. A small percentage of the total tool expense, but worth asking the question.

2. Band saw - Is there enough need to justify a band saw? I'm going to be building an RV-10 QB.

Thanks,
Mike Strube
Irving, Tx
mike.strube at gmail.com

More air is better...go big if you plan on painting. I had to route two smaller compressors to a manifold in order to keep up with the sprayer.

Band saw is nice, but not required.

Spend the money that you would have spent on the band saw purchasing more lighting for the shop. You can never have too much light...

Go to the second hand store and buy a beater stereo system and hang it on the wall. You are going to be spending the next few years out there...make it your home.

Small Bench Sander

I am not sure it is required, but I was advised to get a small bench sander. It has come in very helpful. I picked up one off eBay for under $50.

sander.jpg

Last edited:
Size matters but flow is important too

MIKE:

You asked: Compressor - is the 30 gallon sufficient? The gallon size is one measurement (the more the better), but the cfm is the more important measurement if you're planning to paint a lot of items of any size. A compressor with a cfm rating of 7 or more should work OK if you're not trying to shoot the entire plane in one non stop session.

In addition, the regulator is very important because almost every compressor will lose pressure during operation, but if the regulator at the gun is a good one from a painting supply store, it will maintain the pressure at your hvlp gun until the compressor lbs falls below the pressure reqd.

If you're planning to paint, make sure the environment is conducive for a quality job. No dust, no bugs, plan to install a water removal device in series with the air, the compressor air source should be OUTSIDE the paint booth, the more lights the better, and don't forget your lungs.

Practice is always advisable. If the compressor gives you a choice of voltage, select 220.

I painted my 9A over a three week period. Prior to each shoot, I'd set up jigs to enable me to handle the parts in the booth (my garage) w/o touching them. The second day was for painting and the third day we tore it all apart and stored the completed parts AWAY from the workshop. I have two compressors feeding one 60 gal tank. Just in case my 7hp compressor died during the job, my little 2 hp could get me thru the session (albeit VERY slowly). The only thing worse than running out of paint is a compressor that dies half way thru the job.

My only regret was not painting the fuse whilst it was on the rotisserie. Painting upside down to get to the bottom of the fuse is for young men and achieving a "flow" is more difficult in awkward positions. My hvlp gun has a baggie system to permit upside down work, but it's a lot easier to rotate the target than to work on the floor.

Decent paint jobs cost $6k++ so spending a few more $$ on better equipment makes sense plus think of all the hangar buddies you will make when they learn you can paint (hahaha).

Email if you want more help. That's what this site is all about.

Even a "dinky" compressor is plenty for riveting. Don't be concerned about the tank size. "HP" ratings are also often baloney, if you're using 120V it will only supply about 1-1/2 HP continuously. Look at the air flow (CFM) ratings at 40 and 90 PSI and then compare them to the requirements of your preferred paint gun.

For example, here is an inexpensive HVLP paint gun:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90977

A touch under 6CFM needed at 29 PSI.

Also, please note that for continuous use, going to a bigger tank does not really help for a fixed compressor pump output. It will increase the time to the first recharge cycle, but you'll lose that working time because of the increased refill cycle.

HVLP guns

from harbor freight work VERY well..Get the full size (20 oz) and the touch up gun...Both can be had for $50 for tha pair on sale.

Make sure it says HVLP on the handle..they make gravity feed guns for $14...buy one for primer to avoid messing up the HVLP but don't use it for fisnish coats...They look identical but don't say HVLP on the handle.

One other thing on the compressor..If you get ANY oil at all in the airline yu'll get fisheyes.

So either make sure you have a good oil removing filter or buy an oil free air compressor...But they are NOISY and supposedly have a short life..I built the whole airplane and painted it too with my sears oil free...that was 3 years ago and its still going strong.

The HF HVLP guns work much better at 45psi I found..Make sure you get a good painting coach or come back and talk to us for tips on setting up the guns and spraying.

Great setup advice is available at www.hotrodders.com.

Frank

Back