What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Working on empennage

rwarre

Well Known Member
Have been working of the empennage of my 7A. Scary! I triple check the drawings and instructions before doing anything. I hope this process gets easier. I riveted the 411 hinge bracket but I think I will be drilling out a couple of the rivets. The bracket was not square or secure enough when I riveted and consequently got a couple of lop-sided rivets. The web site is great for help.

To keep things straight when riveting...cleco where you can, and clamp where you can't cleco.

I, too am on the empennage. I'm amazed at how much confidence I've gained in the past two months. I'm moving a lot quicker, but with the same amount of attention to detail.

Yep, you'll catch on. I'm... "professional" (A&P cert) and I've drilled out more rivets than I care to admit on my tail. It does get easier though.

It does get easier.

I was told, in fact, that the emp contains some of the most technical\difficult work in the whole plane.Wally at SYNERGYAIR told me that and you better believe in Wally.After the emp I find that the wings are pretty easy and the progress is faster and more satisfying.All the skills you learn in the empennage work are applied to the rest of the plane,I guess thats why we do it first.Keep up the good work!!

Last edited:
I noticed that at the beginning of the empenage, the work that I thought was pretty good doesn't look quite as good as you originally thought. You get a whole lot better and learn a ton doing the whole thing. Your standard rises as you go along. I have a few rivets that I bucked that the head isn't quite set and some that are bucked a little to much. They will all work but I wish they weren't that way and I don't want to drill them out and take the chance of making them worse when they are fine now. Leave well enough alone. They do bother me some though. When the SB wings get here in early Oct. I will take that extra time and care doing them that I kinda overlooked on the Tail. The tail is perfectly fine, I just wish those few, not so perfect, rivets weren't there.

Back