What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workbench recommendations

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Is there somewhere a listing of workbench requirements? I see variations, but somewhere there must be a specified bench requirements.

I've been very happy with my bench, I built it following the EAA plans almost exactly, except for the following:

(1) I lengthened the bench to 8 feet.
(2) I made the top surface larger than the frame to provide an overhang all around the bench for clamping. My overhang is 1.25 inches all around, but if I were to change anything, I would have made the overhang 1.5 inches; the 1.25 inch overhang works, but it's just a bit too small when reaching under to tighten the clamps. I've found the overhang to be very, very useful.
(3) I used MDF for the top surface. I don't know exactly what MDF is, but it looks like a highly compressed mixture of sawdust and glue. It's very hard, flat, and smooth, and has worked very well.

Good Luck!
John

I've been very happy with my bench, I built it following the EAA plans almost exactly, except for the following:

(1) I lengthened the bench to 8 feet.
(2) I made the top surface larger than the frame to provide an overhang all around the bench for clamping. My overhang is 1.25 inches all around, but if I were to change anything, I would have made the overhang 1.5 inches; the 1.25 inch overhang works, but it's just a bit too small when reaching under to tighten the clamps. I've found the overhang to be very, very useful.
(3) I used MDF for the top surface. I don't know exactly what MDF is, but it looks like a highly compressed mixture of sawdust and glue. It's very hard, flat, and smooth, and has worked very well.

Good Luck!
John

Great list! I made four of the EAA1000 type tables in different sizes. One thing I'd add to this list is to make them taller - kinda of like a laundry folding table or something - just make the table height suitable to your working height. I'm 6'-2" and tend to get backaches so the EA1000 table heights are a little bit short for my comfort. A few inches higher would have made some difference for me. Also, the MDF board is inexpensive and can be replaced easily if you secure the table top with sheet rock screws.

I use swiveling casters with brakes on all four legs. They aren't quite as solid to the ground as no wheels would be, but they let me move my benches around.

I made my tops removable by making snugly-fitting 2x4 inserts that fit in the upper frame. These are screwed or glued to the top. This works out very well when I want to change out a top.

And I put a piece of plywood on the bottom frame as a shelf.

I use the white-faced melamine particle board for table tops. The cut edge is sharp so I used a round-over bit in a router to take the edge off. The edges still needed a bit of sanding. This round-over and sanding is a good move. The smooth white surface is easy to clean and works well, but there's not a lot of friction on it, just so you know.

After making the four benches I made this way I learned something important: leave enough room underneath for a Roomba robot vacuum to wander around freely, since that's what I use out at the hangar.

All in all I'd do them again this way.

What I haven't done and am considering is a basic frame that allows for height adjustments. A few inches is easy with the removable tops - merely make a new drop-in upper frame and it's either a 1.5" or a 3.5" height change depending on if the 2x4s are flat or on their sides. That would let me raise the top a bit easily enough. But a two-foot height change, from lower to normal height, is harder. I think I'd need to build a whole new table frame for that.

I switched out 2x4 legs for 2x3. Much lighter, and just as sturdy.

Then I made the supporting structure for the top and lower shelf out of 3/4" ply, with biscuits joining the pieces. Had the equipment and wood on hand, and once again much lighter. The lower shelf can be covered by really thin ply and still support a lot of weight, thanks to cross braces every 16" or so.

Not sure where I got all the ideas for my tables. Probably started with the EAA specs. I made two tables. Both have an 8 foot with two smaller shelves underneath. For easy mobility, I added locking casters. This was a great move...no pun....it enables me to align the benches end to end for a l o n g table or back to back for a wide table. And when the wife says get out of her space, I roll them to my side of the garage. You just can't have enough storage and the four extra shelves provide this extra space.
In addition, I put electrical recepticals on all four corners of both tables. One table can plugs into the single extension cord and the second table can plug into the first. I rarely have all the gadgets running at the same time so blowing the breaker is not a problem. I have photos of them on Kit Log Pro....Jack Clark....Trenton Ga.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I had missed it in my searches. Just had a brainfart this morning, what would be wrong with the plastic top tables with folding legs that are so popular from Cosco, Sams, Wal Mart etc? They seem sturdy enough, easy to store when you don't need them, etc. Has anybody tried these?

Sams table

Thanks for that, I had missed it in my searches. Just had a brainfart this morning, what would be wrong with the plastic top tables with folding legs that are so popular from Cosco, Sams, Wal Mart etc? They seem sturdy enough, easy to store when you don't need them, etc. Has anybody tried these?

Yes
I use a Sams table for deburring

See www.joesrv12.com/Charts/shop_chart.htm

My main work table is 4?x12? and only 28? tall, the low height helps in reaching across the 48? wide top.

Menards

Had the 'plastic top' tables on sale for $29.95 a couple years ago. I did the entire build on 2 of them. Could move them easily as needed. I just tied them end to end while making the wings etc. Worked great. Now at the airport, if needed, I put a packing blanket on them, and set a wing on them. Quick, easy, and multi use. Not too heavy either. Can throw them in the back of the pickup myself, and go.

John Bender

Back