What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Woohoo! Another light RV-4

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I just got the numbers for my RV-4... 920lbs @ 68.4"

I wanted less than 950, and I got it! It will gain weight with painting, and the last fairings, but I will be well under 950, which was my goal

That is a great number!

Congrats!

BTW, I spoke to a local RV-4 owner (not builder) who told me the guy who built his airplane filled all the rivet heads so his wing has no rivets showing through the paint.

The down side is it came in at over 1100 lbs. That's a FAT -4!

That is a great number!

Congrats!

BTW, I spoke to a local RV-4 owner (not builder) who told me the guy who built his airplane filled all the rivet heads so his wing has no rivets showing through the paint.

The down side is it came in at over 1100 lbs. That's a FAT -4!

Did he fill em with tungsten??

fat cats

Having now actually built a light plane... I can tell you my only "trick" was to _NOT_ do. I didn't put on an IO-360 with a heavy aluminum CS prop, I didn't install a 60amp alternator, I didn't install a full steam gauge panel, I didn't install 50lbs of radios and auto-pilot.

IO-320, Sturba wood climb prop (much more fun), 7Amp B&C Vacuum pad alternator (2lbs installed), LED nav lights, Dynon DA-10, EIC engine monitor. I don't like the EIS, I'd go all Dynon today. Maybe D180.

I do plan to fill the rivets in the wing with Super Fill, that would weigh under 1 lb for all ten-thousand whatever heads on the top of the wing/fuse and increase speed and appeal. I plan to do a very thin coat of paint, plain off-white nothing fancy, just enough to cover my oops'. My ship will never turn heads at OSH, other than being a fastback, it would blend right into the woodwork.

2470105243_997bae11c7_o.jpg

It doesn't look too bad from 100' with the setting sun hitting it!

-Bruce

filling rivets

I am a little old school. I wouldn't fill rivets. If I didn't want rivets to show I would have built something composite. I doubt it will make much difference on the speed. You have a great looking airplane. Let us know how it performs.

I salute you...

Chris/Bruce,
Way back in the day when I started my RV4 there were 2 RV's, the 3 and 4. Builders support was very limited, no internet or forums (or cellphones, woo hoo) and Van answered the phone in N. Plains. Experienced builders like John Harmon and my friend Arvil Porter helped alot of newbies (like me) Their battle cry: Keep it Light!
I finished my RV4 in 96' tipping the scales at 935 lbs and flew it that way for 3 years with Kry-Lon on the fiberglass, 0-320ND/Sterba (No starter the 1st month) $1.29/Gal MoGas in the tanks. On one trip to the Idaho backcountry in 97' my buddy Rob Norris snapped this picture of me over compass lake from his C-180. I think Van has let it stay on the website to show people what a light -4 looks like....BTW, Rivet heads are a badge of courage for me!

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-4int.htm

I think it's time for a new lightweight champion!

Rob Ray
Old School RV4 builder
HR2

Last edited:
I am a little old school. I wouldn't fill rivets. If I didn't want rivets to show I would have built something composite. I doubt it will make much difference on the speed. You have a great looking airplane. Let us know how it performs.

Will do... I'd like to implement Dave Anders' drag mods; but for economy not speed. My project goal is to get a plane I can afford to cruise around the country and still have a grin when I pay for gas. Flying out of Kansas City, it's a long way to see anything other than grain and corn. I've been day dreaming about a camp fly trip to Idaho or Utah this Summer. (seperate thread)

-Bruce

Light is Good

Good job Bruce. I like the fastback, you've flowed the canopy into the turtledeck well. My -4 weighed in at 946lb with 180 and FP wood prop, no lights or gyros. What I like about not having stuff, is that it weighs nothing, costs nothing, and doesn't break!

Back