What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wooden Props

shiney

Well Known Member
A friend of mine here in the UK is in need of some info on wooden props for his RV6

Does anyone know if Props Inc wooden props are or have
been approved for use on an RV6 with 0-320 E2A and alternatively
what other props are currently available which you would recommend.

Thanks

Martin:)

Specific props do not have to be "approved" to run on experimental amateur-built aircraft in the US.
Many people have run Props Inc. props on several RV models.

Hi Martin....

...the Catto composite props are really hard to beat and give excellent cruise performance. Craig will taylor the prop to whatever you'd like to do with it, whether it's a compromise for climb and aerobatics, or simply the fastest speed.

Best,

Catto can't be beat in a wood/composite prop.
Mel & I both have them, Pierre had one.
Have been very satisfied.

Like Dan says, I have been flying behind a 3-blade Catto for over 5 years now and I can honestly say that it is the BEST fixed pitch prop I have ever flown behind, and I've flown behind many!

With the catto being a wood/composite prop, does that mean it's more rain resistant than a straight wood prop?
Thanks, Craig

Absolutely not!

Craig, my airplane was flown though a lot of rain the day it was sold and it nearly wore the prop completely out! Had to go back to Catto for refurbishing....the one downside of a wood/composite prop.

Craig does now offer a tape type leading edge protector but I have no idea of its adequacy in rain.

Best,

I had a Aymer-Deymuth and was very happy with it. It developed a small crack after 10 years and replaced it with a Catto. I still have it as a back up just in case.

Performance Propellers

I have a Performance Propellers Wood Prop with te rain proof leading edge and am very happy with it.:D

You might also consider an Ellipse design made by Catto. Present performance of an Elippse three-blade on an RV-6 with 150 HP on auto gas is 187 mph TAS at 75% power at 8400' dalt, 1440 lb, with exceptional ROC, averaging 916 fpm from 2000' to 10,000' This average is based on several GPS runs. This would translate to 191.1 mph with 160 HP, 198.7 mph with 180 HP, and 205.8 mph with 200 HP.

I've had several Props Inc propellers. Jeff is a nice fellow, but I recommend you look elsewhere....serious quality, design, and delivery issues.

I put an MT wood/composite prop on my O-320 160hp RV-6. It has wood core with Kevlar wrap and stainless steel leading edge. Saw a big improvement form the Sterba that was on it. I ran it about 12 hours last summer in heavy rain and only a bit of the paint at the tips has been worn off. Price was about $2500 and they are fully certified props.

John Nielsen

I have been flying an Aymer Demuth for 6 years and just ordered a new one from Mike.

Very efficient and smooth running.

Back