What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wooden grip attach

EWH22

I have two really nice wooden grips for my RV7A, epoxy was suggestion from maker as far as installing. Have others used set screws?
Thanks in advance.
Ed

I have a wooden grip in my -4. I drilled a hole though one side of the grip and through the metal stick for a no.6 hex head (allen head?)fine thread screw. I tapped the stick for the 6x32 screw. I cut a recess in the grip with a dremel tool to completely recess the screw head. Put the grip on with a little rtv, some lok-tight on the screw. The hole I drilled is on the front down low...can't been seen or felt. I did not want to use expoxy in case I wanted to take the grip off to service the trim and ptt switches. So far so good....even with My death grip on it while landing in the usual 15-20mph direct cross winds at Houston Southwest :D

I've done quite a few

and I did them exactly as Warren did. BTW, remember if the grip has "finger" grips, you don't want them straight ahead. Sit in the airplane and hold them to get the proper angle.

Warren,

Do you have any pictures you can post? Are you drilling through boths sides of the metal stick (and one side of the grip), or just one side of the grip/stick?

Thanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

Thanks Mel. Does the thin-walled steel tube provide enough thread engagement area to prevent from stripping out (when tightening down)? It seems like it would only offer thickness for 1 - 2 threads.

Thanks,
Scott

Grip Stick

Put my wooden grips on with RTV. Allowed it to dry after sitting in the plane and making the alignment just right.

Easy, quick, and durable.

Jack

Yep, I put the screw though one side of the grip and only one side of the stick. The stick is thin, but the threads I tapped are holding up fine after 190hrs. Think the dab of RTV also helps prevent rotation, so not that much stress on the srcew. And as Mel pointed out I off-set the grip a little to the left, as I'm right handed, So with my arm resting on my leg the grip angle is natural.

Back