What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wisconsin to San Diego (and back again)

apkp777

Well Known Member
Thought I would share a few notes and pics from my trip to San Diego and back from Wisconsin. My son Aaron was graduating from MCRD San Diego (Marine Boot Camp) and in one of the very few letters we received from him, he said he wanted to fly the RV back home after boot camp. So, I figured we would make a trip of it. The trip took about 26 hours of flying and 3200nm.

Route
2nm97a.jpg

My wife and I planned to fly to San Diego and my son and I would fly back. However, a death in the family had my wife travel to Oregon just a few days before departure so her and I ended up meeting in Denver. I flew into Front Range Airport just southeast of KDEN. They had a airport car available and I drove over and picked up Kellie. The folks there at Front Range were great and the location was super convenient. Next Kellie and I headed south toward Pueblo where we would cross Poncho and Marshall Passes. I had borrowed a portable Ox system so I ended climbing to 14.5k and crossed over with no trouble. We did get a fair amount of turbulence but nothing too extreme.

Marshall Pass
2603l84.jpg

Once across the passes we made for Gunnison and Black Canyon. We landed at Montrose, CO and stayed the afternoon/night there. Those folks are great. They had a Jeep available for free and let us have it all day. We drove up to the Black Canyon National Park and had a great time enjoying the scenery.

Black Canyon
99ph55.jpg

The next morning we took off and headed toward Moab/Canyonlands airport. Words can NOT express how amazing the view was. Just incredible. We were at awe. The short flight to Moab got us into Canyonlands airport early in the day where we rented a car and went hiking in Arches National Park (1 day before it was closed due to the Government shutdown).

Moab
2n1rhx0.jpg

The next morning we headed toward San Diego. Our route of flight took us over the Canyonlands, The Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree and on into San Diego. Again, words and pictures fail to convey just how incredible it was.

Canyonlands
2v2t72b.jpg

Grand Canyon
2sb4mkm.jpg

Arriving into San Diego, SoCal approach granted my request for a coast approach into Montgomery Field from the new which gave us nice view of the coastline.

San Diego
63ujjm.jpg

Of course the highlight of our trip was seeing our son graduation from boot camp. It's a very patriotic ceremony and a very proud moment in our lives.

Marine Boot Camp Graduation 2nd BTL Golf Co PLT 2150 MCRD San Diego
11spde0.jpg

PVT Aaron J Phillips
15ebrjp.jpg

Aaron and I flew home and again stopped in Montrose, Pueblo and on into Wisconsin. He was anxious to get home and see the rest of his family and friends so other than the aerial tours of the Grand Canyon, Canyonlands and Lake Powell, we tried to keep the pace up to get home.

Pueblo
2hnm3au.jpg

Nice write-up, Tony ...

.. and congrats on your son graduating from Marine boot camp! Also, I like your paint scheme ... I hadn't seen your Nine since you (and your son, I believe) were at a Frasca Field (C16) fly-in a couple years ago. Your Nine was newly flying and still "all shiny-like" then. ;)
A very exciting l-o-n-g X-country ... I hope to do one similar next summer.

Marine Corps lessons stick

Private Phillips is standing at "parade rest" next to your RV... ;)

Moab.....

Tony, congrats to you on the trip and to your son for his accomplishment!

Can't wait to fly back to Moab - our best trip ever!

Back