What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring (under the flaperon mixer)

txaviator

Well Known Member
I'll start by saying that I am going E-AB.

But has anyone else had concerns over the wiring bundle that runs underneath the flaperon mixer? I have spent a great deal of time on the wiring portion of the finish kit. It is very neat, organized, and wire-tied at many locations. However, with all of the wiring that goes through the pilot's side of the nylon block and under the moving flaperon mixer, it seems to me that there may be some rubbing? I just don't like the idea of a moving part that is VERY close to the wiring bundle. Despite my tedious efforts to get the wiring to lay flatly in that area especially, with the number of wires going through there it's still nowhere near flat to the bottom skin.

I was thinking of maybe affixing a small, thin, aluminum 'shield' to the top of the wiring under that mixer. Maybe gently wire tied on the ends around the wiring bundle. At least the flaperon mixer would rub on the thin alloy shield versus the wiring bundle. Thoughts? Has anyone else seen this as an area of concern?

Many thanks for your ideas.

Gary, I will start by saying I am ELSA and I did make a very thin shield that is held in place by the nuts that hold the top portion of the nylon guide. It extends forward several inches which is just enough to insulate the wires from the flap handle bottom. It works very well and protects everything that runs under it. Keep this between us as mine is ELSA.:cool:

Gary, I will start by saying I am ELSA and I did make a very thin shield that is held in place by the nuts that hold the top portion of the nylon guide. It extends forward several inches which is just enough to insulate the wires from the flap handle bottom. It works very well and protects everything that runs under it. Keep this between us as mine is ELSA.:cool:

Great suggestion, Dave. I am installing the flap handle tonight, and hadn't even thought about that possible interference too. I'll follow your design, utilize the nut on the nylon block, and extend it further.

Oh, and I won't tell anyone you are E-LSA with this mod ;);)

Tony T. ( as ALWAYS!!!) has a pic of a very good idea here. Page 3 of 17 in his finish kit section. Tie wraps, not aluminum. http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12Project/Finish-Kit/9229733_psK3HZ#!i=650902631&k=K4grvZx.

Thanks. I did see that previously. It first appeared that the tie wrap only moves the bundle outward, toward the flange in the skin- which wouldn't help me with the overall height issue. But by blowing up the photo, the tie-wrap may also pull the bundle downward toward the bottom skin? I'll have to give it another close inspection when I get home.....after I try to get that one darn screw in the little plate that protects the wiring bundle from the rudder pedals.....now THAT'S proving to be a pain :D

It is two tie wraps end to end. The big end of one is BEHIND the rib at the top hidden from view. The hole the pointed ends go through is too small for the head. You can see the head of the other one at the bottom below the tubing, which acts to block it. When tightened the wraps hold the bundle down.

Back