What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring to the lower rudder tip?

Bob Brown

Well Known Member
If anyone has some detail on wire routing, here's a chance to share it. How/where are you routing the wiring that passes through the Vert Stab to the rudder for strobe/tail marker/rudder trim? The tail tiedown ring is aligned straight on, or, the flanges of the bulkhead are on the sides at the bottom of the bulkhead.

Some photos here would be great!

Bob

Bob,
I can't say on rudder trim, but the the wire for the tail light/strobe goes through a hole drilled just above the tiedown mount - as per the plans.
John

I've been looking for this location, as I'm reworking my rudder trim and about ready to start wiring from the rudder forward. Before I posed the question, I searched the forums and found this thread with John's post above, which led me to a minute search of the plans, to no avail. Fortunately, a light dawned - perhaps it's not in the airframe plans but in the plans for the optional wiring harness. Since I'm not using the harness, I don't have the plans but I found one online long ago and, sure enough, there it is. OP37-16 has the drawing I've been looking for all day. So, I'm posting this both as guidance for anyone else behind me and also as a reminder (not shaking a finger at John because we all do it): when you post that it's in the plans, also post what plans and where.

For the rudder strobe/nav I drilled a hole by the rear tie down block. For my electric rudder trim I ran it up through the tail and put a grommet in the bottom rib of the vertical stabilizer, than ran it back to the rudder at the hinge point. Here is a pic that shows it a bit. If you need more let me know and I can take a couple.

Brian

Painting%20019.JPG

I've been looking for this location, as I'm reworking my rudder trim and about ready to start wiring from the rudder forward. Before I posed the question, I searched the forums and found this thread with John's post above, which led me to a minute search of the plans, to no avail. Fortunately, a light dawned - perhaps it's not in the airframe plans but in the plans for the optional wiring harness. Since I'm not using the harness, I don't have the plans but I found one online long ago and, sure enough, there it is. OP37-16 has the drawing I've been looking for all day. So, I'm posting this both as guidance for anyone else behind me and also as a reminder (not shaking a finger at John because we all do it): when you post that it's in the plans, also post what plans and where.

Patrick hit the nail on the head with OP-37. Finding those plans answered a lot of the wiring questions for me. Shame that they are somewhat "hidden from view" for the folks that don't buy the wiring harness kit. Vans does sell them separately for about $10.

Back