What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring to overhead via door posts

flion

Well Known Member
Ok, it's obvious to run wires up the center support but I've got too many (4 O2 delivery stations, 2 GPS antennae, overhead lights ...) and I really don't want to run power alongside the GPS cables anyway. What I had in mind was running wires up the gutter on the forward side of the door post underneath where the windshield sits. What I'd like to see is a picture, from the inside, of the windshield installation before any kind of headliner is put in place so I can be sure the route I have in mind will still be there. Otherwise, Murphy's law says my planned location won't be available.

I'm running all my wiring via conduit to the back, then up the support for the baggage bulkhead. The runs may be a little longer, but I think it will be a cleaner installation.

It wasn't clear to me based upon your desciption which door post you were using. The forward or aft post? How are you going to hide the cables?

Forward post. Between it and the ledge for the windshield is a kind of gutter that follows the windshield ledge up over the top. I don't see anything in the instructions that indicates that the gutter gets filled with anything but a picture of the area before a headliner is in place would answer my question. It would get covered by the headliner once in place. If I have to, I will go to the back but I've got too much stuff going back there already.

I'm doing what Bob is. But I'm also planning on putting a foam pad on the windshield grab-rail - then wrapping it with leather.

I'm thinking that I might run a few wires up the grab-rail and under the foam padding before I wrap it.

Just another idea.

Patrick,

Are you putting in an overhead as well as a headliner? The reason I ask is that there is only a couple inches not covered by my overhead at that point. I decided just to finish out that area with some filler as oppose to attempting to custom fit headliner material in that area. My headliner stops at the joggle near the aft end of the door.

You certainly can run wires there. It's just not apparent to me an effective method to covering the wires.

You can see what little room is left on my cabin cover.

bob

FP20052011A0003B.jpg

Bob, thanks for trying to help but English is failing us here. All I want is a picture, from the inside of the cabin, of the top of the windshield installation before any kind of filler or headliner is applied. On my cabin top there is a gutter along the windshield line and I just want to verify it is still there after all the trimming and such when the windshield is installed. If the gutter is still there I can always glue in a small diameter wiring conduit before filling there but I'd bet I can get a headliner covering everything up there, overhead console and all. Anyway, second guessing is no good here, a picture is what I need.

Bob, thanks for trying to help but English is failing us here. All I want is a picture, from the inside of the cabin, of the top of the windshield installation before any kind of filler or headliner is applied. On my cabin top there is a gutter along the windshield line and I just want to verify it is still there after all the trimming and such when the windshield is installed. If the gutter is still there I can always glue in a small diameter wiring conduit before filling there but I'd bet I can get a headliner covering everything up there, overhead console and all. Anyway, second guessing is no good here, a picture is what I need.

Since the window goes on the outside of the forward flange of the cabin cover, nothing on the interior of the cabin cover is modified. I haven't put in the glass yet, so I can't take the picture you are looking for. You should be able to do what you are describing.

That wouldn't be my choice, but it's a personal not a technical opinion.

I think I understand what you are saying, but let me confirm it - you want to run a power line up the forward side of the front door post to the top of the overhead, right?
I don't see why it couldn't be done, because you can always cover it with upholstery. Why not just bring it up the roof from the back?
John

Yes, John, that's what I have in mind. And, yes, I could go to the back but I've got so much going back there the available routes are getting crowded plus it's a longer run and it's better to keep things short.

Back