What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Time

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
Now to the next step......wire runs in the tail section!! Woo Hoo!

I'm going with AeroLEDs for nav and strobe lights. I have the Dynon Temp probe on the fuselage side under the right side HS. The shielded cable for the LEDs is small and fits snug through a 1/8" i.d. snap bushing. I enlarged the tooling holes in the back bulkheads to 1/4" and used the snap bushings there. My question is, what is the best way to secure these long wire runs through the back (more open areas) of the fuselage?

I have seen a few builders run the black plastic conduit back there which is nice but seems like it would add some fair amount of weight. Is there a good way to attach these wires to the longerons? Also, is it okay for the wires to lay on top of the bottom skin? I'm looking for knowledge first then light and neat, if possible.

Thanks as usual!

I used tie wrap cable cradles bonded to the skin with proseal.

IMG_3155-M.jpg

I found the cradles at Allied Electronics for about half the price of what Aircraft Spruce charges. Get the size that will fit a #6 screw and you can use LP4-3 pull rivets in places where it is OK to drill a hole (like the bulkheads or stringers).

Tie mounts

Use tie mounts that Bruce used. Instead of pro seal I use urethane sealant ( 3M #08609) to bond the tie mounts to the structure. Give it about 24 hrs to cure and no problems. We use sikaflex at work to bond our mounts to aircraft structures and if it works in the vibration of our helicopters it will work in your application. That's what I use.....FWIW......:D

Last edited:
After looking at his link from allied I use something a little different. I use mounts similar to the mounts that you can get at lowes....but you can remove the adhesive tape..:rolleyes:

Electrical Cables to tail

I did not want my cables to the tail to go on the bottom skin as I still had to get in the back to rivet on the skin ? I used the light weight corrugated stuff that VAN sells for the wing conduit. I made some small brackets out of .032 ? then I used C200 Click Bond product to bond them in place ? one small packet from ACS did the job
? just follow the surface prep from the Click Bond web site.

http://www.clickbond.com/files/Documents/cb200 data sheet.pdf

To hold the brackets in place ? I taped a small steel washer on the bracket ? and used a strong magnet on the outside of the fuselage ? that held it in place perfect for the ?glue? to set as it should. I also made a small test sample .. and it did not want to come off ... so I expect no problem with this set-up .

2r5ul8y.jpg

eueek8.jpg

Remove primer before bonding ...

zvq2dv.jpg

Back