What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Splice

pmccoy

Well Known Member
Ok, wiring has finally arrived.

So I have a question. In a couple of areas on my wiring plan, I am either splitting a signal wire (22AWG) or a power wire (18-20AWG) with a 1-2 or 1-3 splice.

My question is... what is the best way to splice a wire for a (1 to 2) or a (1 to 3)? Thanks.

Ok, wiring has finally arrived.

So I have a question. In a couple of areas on my wiring plan, I am either splitting a signal wire (22AWG) or a power wire (18-20AWG) with a 1-2 or 1-3 splice.

My question is... what is the best way to splice a wire for a (1 to 2) or a (1 to 3)? Thanks.

I'd use a terminal strip with jumpers. There isn't any way to make a "neat" multiwire splice with crimp terminals.
Check some of the electronics suppliers Allied Electronics, Newark or Mouser. The European style terminal strips are compact and easily mounted. They are available in various ampacities and can be cut ot length for the number of terminations you need.

Here's a link

This link should give you all the details you need/want on the Tyco-Raychem splices. If you decide to go this route, make sure you use the crimper they recommend.....don't try anything else. Good luck.

Read this article on AeroElectric Connection on using PIDG teriminals and multiple wires. At the bottom of the page there is a paragraph that talks about a 1 to 7 situation. Obviously, 1 to 2-3 is easier.

octopus.jpg

Both of the ideas above have merits, depends on a couple of thing ......... like where is the splice going to be located.

A terminal strip is not very good in the middle of a wire run, like to the tail strobe for instance.

But it is fine for under the panel, specially if the other end is hooked to something that may need to be removed for maintenance.

Crimp connectors offer low profile/bulk for use in the middle of a wiring bundle.

As far as the electrons go, well, they just dont care as long as the connection is well made.

Back