What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Size

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

I need to install a 12 Volts outlet ( Lighter Socket )in the tail of my RV-4 ( Total distance about 10 feet ) and I'm wondering what size of wiring I need for such a set-up??

Is a 16 Gauge wire good enough or do I need something bigger?

It is to connect my GDL-39 3D in the tail of the aircraft..

Also any idea of what size of in-line fuse I should install to protect the GDL-39 in case of trouble? Is a 5 Amp fuse good enough??

Thank you for your inputs

Bruno
[email protected]

Wire size...

From the Garmin spec:

Total power while charging: 8.0 W max

so we are looking at .66 amps at 10 feet, can be a pretty small wire, BUT:

If you are going to put a power plug in anyway, why not go ahead and use a larger wire and fuse? Remember, the fuse saves the wire.

During condition inspections, you could plug in a light.

Oh, and put the fuse as close to the power source as possible.

Your first step is to determine how much maximum current your device draws. Also consider that you may one day plug in something that draws more current. Figure out how much current you would need to supply.

Maximum current and wire length determines wire size. Wire size determines what fuse or circuit breaker is needed to protect the wire.

The purpose of a breaker/fuse is to protect the wire from melting and/or catching fire. The circuit breaker/fuse does not protect the device.

AC 43 or your national equivalent will give you guidance for this, as well as the Aeroelectric Connection booklet.

Maybe someone with the documents handy can give you an example for, say a 5amp 12 volt adapter.

Don

Last edited:
Back