What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wiring RV-10

pilotdds

I am considering hiring out the wiring in my RV 10, inclluding installation of a Stein G 900 panel. Does anyone have any leads or recommendations for an individual or shop in California? Does anyone have personal experience or recommendations?
Thanks,
Jim

Panel

I'd just mail the blank to stein. I'm at DVO. I'd love to see your 10 as I'm considering one someday..

Neil

There is a shop at Executive in Sacto that I would look into for this.

Airborne, IIRC.

Also, try contacting Randy Thorne, "SportAirServ" here at VAF. He is in Ione, he is the prez of the Rancho Mureitta EAA chapter.

Last edited:
Stein has a good reputation and I liked what I saw at his booth at Oshkosh. That said, my first panel was done by Aerotronics and I liked it so much that I went straight to Gary when I was planning my -10. Turns out they were doing the groundwork for making harnesses for the -10. They had worked with a -10 builder getting measurements and building his harness. Now they are customizing what they learned from that project and are getting ready to pre-wire mine. It wasn't hard to do the peripheral wiring in my -6A but the Aerotronics harness takes it up a notch with professional bundling - much neater than I am capable of. Making the connections on the -6A wasn't difficult and I got (and still get) great support from the gang at Aerotronics whenever I had questions.

I admire the people who can do their own avionics but if you are going to hire it out, as I did, I can heartily recommend them. No need for a local shop.

So, am I the only one who understood the original post to be asking for help installing the Stein built panel into the aircraft, and finishing up the balance of the aircraft wiring??

Jim---how about a little clarification here??

I read it that way, too, if you're talking about my post. I was suggesting that he get a harness built; he can do the physical install himself. Heck, I bet Stein would do it for him.

I won't speak for Jim, but I think ya'll are on the right track. He already has in his possesion a rather nice panel (at least I think so)....see the picture below. I think he perhaps would like some assistance getting all of it installed. Sometimes we have a tech go to the plane to help with install, but a the moment they are all busy....doing installs!

finishedsm.JPG

Cheers,
Stein

Hi Bill,

You can spend almost whatever your want on a panel like that, but they typically start down in the $60's and go up to infinity from there. Some lower and some higher - depends on how much work you pay the shop to do and how much you do yourself.

Cheers,
Stein

So, just out of curiosity, what does a panel like that cost??
Bill

Wiring up the rest of the airplane, even if the entire panel is pre-built with harnesses included, is still a very substantial amount of highly detailed work.

After helping my friends wire up a 10, a 4 and an 8, almost all concurrently over the same time period, I think I've decided that I'm going to wire up only one more complete airplane.... mine :D, whenever the financial miracle happens that will allow me to get started building my own RV.

Back