What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Runs Under Floor

macrafic

Well Known Member
I've looke at several wiring runs with pictures on this forum, but am confused.

If installing conduit, it can't be run anywhere outside of the 2 outermost baggage floor ribs, because the external steps do not leave enough room to run the conduit under or over the step.

That leaves one "rib bay" on either side, right next to the center tunnel. The outer portion of that bay has the screws/nuts holding the external step block in place, so the conduit would have to be run under it (doable). The inner portion of that bay would require drilling another 3/4" hole in the bulkhead, right next to 3 other holes that are already there (the elevator pushrod hole, the manual trim cable hole and another wiring hole). My feeling is that this would have a tendency to weaken the bulkhead.

What am I missing from the other installations I've seen here? Appreciate your comments.

I decided to skip the under baggage conduit.....also skipped putting on the steps. ;)

I'm on a plan I call, the 3 L's. Less work, Lighter, Lazy.:D

Out of interest I ran my tail light and strobe cables along the side of the fuselage, behind the baggage cover panels, forward through the F-605 bulkhead and down through the floor. I used snap bushings and zip ties to secure. The plastic tube/zip tie stand-off behind the F-605 is as per an EAA on-line video and keeps the wires well clear of the rudder cable and flap mechanism. The wires are secured to the front of the F-605 with a light weight, poor man's Adel clamp - a Gardner Bender 1/4" nylon cable clamp with an LP4-3 rivet and 1/8" aluminum rivet washer. I'll run the electric trim and Dynon magnetometer/OAT cables along the other side of the fuselage and then possibly through the tunnel. This should keep the high tension and data cables well apart.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Details Details

tailwire1at1.jpg

tailwire2dj1.jpg

Last edited:
Another hole - no problem

The inner portion of that bay would require drilling another 3/4" hole in the bulkhead, right next to 3 other holes that are already there (the elevator pushrod hole, the manual trim cable hole and another wiring hole). My feeling is that this would have a tendency to weaken the bulkhead.
As long as you space holes 2D (1.5" for a 3/4" hole) center to center away from the other holes, and 1D away from any edge, drilling holes in the shear web of the bulkheads is not an issue structurally.

I used the center tunnel

I ran all my fore & aft wiring through the pushrod tunnel. It needs to be done carefully and it needs to be secured well clear of the full range of motion of the elevator pushrod and control column but it is easily done and all of the wiring is reasonably accessible for mods later on as in installing pitch autopilot wiring. Oh by the way I would make those steps removable - it takes a lot more work if you decide to do it later (The difference in speed is only on the order of 0.5 kt with them removed).

Bob Axsom
RV-6A

Back