What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Quiz - Capacitive fuel sender to Belite gauge

judoka5051

Well Known Member
yhst-69233757033345_2269_2171754

Hey Gang,

I've run into a little trouble with the fuel sensor wiring and wonder if anyone can help.

I bought the plane already started and it has the capacitive plate system installed... So thinking it would be an easy interface, I bought the Belite dual fuel capacitive gauge. No.

Here's the problem. The sender output is a BNC connector with TWO connections, a lead to the free floating plate and a ground.

The gauge diagram shows that THREE are needed at the sender, the sensor wire, a ground, and a 12V supply.

Any idea how I can make this work? I wrote to the gauge supplier and they tried to sell me another gauge (with the exact same wiring diagram).

Thanks, Lance

On a good note, I've developed a very easy hidden hinge for the baggage door for the RV8. I'll post it as soon as it's installed.

12v?

I'm no genius but why would there be a 12V+ connected to the same plate as the ground? Hmmm. Should be interesting to hear from the experts.

There are 3 pieces to the equation.
You are aware of and show 2 of the 3 in your image.

They are: Gage, Convertor, sensor.

In your craft you currently have the gage and the "sensor" which consists of capacitive plates built into the tanks. There are 2 connections to the sensor. One connection for each side of the capacitor. One side is the tank or ground and the other side is the electrically floating plates that make the other side of the capacitor.

The capacitor "sensor" by itself is useless. It must be connected to some electronics (a convertor) that will use the changing capacitance to output a 0 to 5 volt signal for the gage to read. The pair together form a "probe" per your schematics nomenclature.

Talk to GRT for the "Princeton" convertor or Dynon for their unit. These convertors take 12V input, have a ground, and finally the signal output line. Exactly as shown as "probe" in the schematic you have.

Dynon Converters

Now that I have the info I needed I've been looking around. I see the Dynon converter connects directly to the BNC and has a 0-5V output. It sure looks like an easy installation. Unless I can find a reason to rule it out, I'll probably get a couple of those. I will say that I had a hard time finding the output range and finally downloaded the Flightdeck 180 manual.

Thanks for all the input, Lance

The Van's converter and the Dynon converter are not interchangeable. Each is designed for different types of gauges. I believe that one type is analog and the other is digital. Make sure that the components are compatible before ordering.
Joe Gores

The IE P 300's that Van sells are digital.

I purchased them for use with my G3X.

It will take the option of a digital input.

:cool: CJ

Back