What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring question

DragonflyAero

Well Known Member
I am about to start my wing build and have a simple question that I have not found the answer to. I intent to use Aeroled Nav/Strobe and Aerosun landing lights in each wingtip, in conjunction with Vertical Power ECB.

Should I go ahead and order a wire harness kit at this point or just buy the wire needed for lights, and wait on the remaining wire until later? And what wire do I need? Aeroled indicates 20AWG, but do I run individual strands for each light or can I use one 3 conductor shielded and use one conductor for each light and then ground the shield and each light to the airframe?

Thanks for your help!!

Bill Vinson
RV-7 in gestation

You need to install your wiring before the bottom skin go on. Considerations are lights, roll servo in right wing, lights, stall, pitot/ static lines , AOA in left wing. Some open tooling holes in aft ribs or run conduit just aft of push pull opening along the bottom of rib.

William Bennett
CW4 USA Ret
RV8A flying for sale
RV7 finishing

I am about to start my wing build and have a simple question that I have not found the answer to. I intent to use Aeroled Nav/Strobe and Aerosun landing lights in each wingtip, in conjunction with Vertical Power ECB.

Should I go ahead and order a wire harness kit at this point or just buy the wire needed for lights, and wait on the remaining wire until later? And what wire do I need? Aeroled indicates 20AWG, but do I run individual strands for each light or can I use one 3 conductor shielded and use one conductor for each light and then ground the shield and each light to the airframe?

Thanks for your help!!

Bill Vinson
RV-7 in gestation

There are some atypical connections in the AeroLED schematic (espcially related to sheilding). It is advisable to wire percisely like the schematic shows to minimize any noise. You can search the threads here for more details.

Conduit

I put in one 5/8 conduit (plastic tube) which Van's sells and then a string to each wiring point; root to tip for Nav/Strobe, root to last bay for LL, and root to aileron bellcrank for auto pilot servo. You can pull the wires through later and you'll be covered if the wiring requirement changes before you get there.

Alan

You don't necessarily need the wire in place before you close the wing, if you install conduit with a pull string you can pull the wires through later.

rtch.jpg

Bill,

I think it is a good idea to get the wiring harness early on so that you at least have a sense for the amount of wire that actually goes into the plane. We also have a 'dummy' VP-X that you can use to do the install before you seal up the front.

The AeroLEDs have specific directions for wiring specific kinds of wire. We also have further documentation about this the back of the VP-X Installation Manual.

As for crimping the terminals on the special wires, you can buy terminals and rent a crimper in our e-store or you can just send us the wire and we'll crimp the terminals on for you.

Back