What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Order

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Time to start getting wiring for the tail and wings. Has anyone made a spreadsheet of cable lengths and sizes for their RV8? I know there are a lot of variables. Wire is super expensive lately so was wanting to do some paperwork before having too much wire - or not enough.

I have started using the fuse wiring drawing as a beginning point.

When I built the RV14 prowireusa was the best price point but no longer....

Wiring

Time to start getting wiring for the tail and wings. Has anyone made a spreadsheet of cable lengths and sizes for their RV8? I know there are a lot of variables. Wire is super expensive lately so was wanting to do some paperwork before having too much wire - or not enough.

I have started using the fuse wiring drawing as a beginning point.

When I built the RV14 prowireusa was the best price point but no longer....

I estimated using a scrap piece of network cat-5 wire. I started at the tail and worked forward. There's a lot of wire I didn't consider.

I bought 50' of each...
18/3, 18/2, 18/1 shielded
18/1 red, black, white
Same for 20 AWG and 22 AWG
I have partials of most except the red. I had to order 20' of 18 and 22 to finish.
Make use of excess wire from other harnesses. I had a chunk left from a servo and the GPS. I used it to fab a harness for my switches since they just switch grounds for the ACM.

I shopped around for Tefzel. Usually SteinAir was cheapest and they carry a huge variety of colors. Buy more than you think you need.
I bought a lot of terminating stuff from Digikey. Shipping is much lower than aviation suppliers. They have the same manufacturer coax, antenna connectors, wire terminals, d-subs and such. Let me know if you need part numbers. I keep a list for future orders.

Heat shrink was super cheap on Amazon. I have a ton and will probably sell what I will never use.

Back