What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wiring harness clearance Page 31-13

dick seiders

Well Known Member
It is near impossible to get total clearance between the two wire bundles when routing thru the adel clamps and over the rudder pedal support tubes. I used larger adels and flattened them. I also positioned them with the bolt hole inboard to avoid conflict with the center mounting block.Wires still lay on the tubes. Has anyone dropped the pedal assembly down about 1/8 or so using shims and relieving the opening a bit on the center console sides to allow the tubes to drop the 1/8? The rubbing action on the wires may only be slight, but will likely be a problem one day at a most inopportune time.
What have some of you done to resolve this issue?
Thanks.
Dick Seiders

Clearance issues

Dick, if you'll go back, you can find a bunch of comments/solutions to this problem. We bought a couple of slightly larger clamps, spread the wires out inside the clamps and then squeezed them and we got them to fit. (We also REMOVED to pedal assembly so we could see what was going on.) It really does help to put the plane over on its side.
Best of Luck
Meade and George
#16:)

It is near impossible to get total clearance between the two wire bundles when routing thru the adel clamps and over the rudder pedal support tubes. I used larger adels and flattened them. I also positioned them with the bolt hole inboard to avoid conflict with the center mounting block.Wires still lay on the tubes. Has anyone dropped the pedal assembly down about 1/8 or so using shims and relieving the opening a bit on the center console sides to allow the tubes to drop the 1/8? The rubbing action on the wires may only be slight, but will likely be a problem one day at a most inopportune time.
What have some of you done to resolve this issue?
Thanks.
Dick Seiders
Dick- I also used larger adel clamps and flatened them, but I also made three 1/8" spacers to go betwwen the shelf and the pedal blocks. This works great and there are NO wire bundle clearance problems. Steve

wire clearance

I re did the deed. Found a reasonable result by using a 9 adel on one and a 12 on the other. Flattened before putting wire thru. Also added mylar tape (RV6 flaps) to the pedal support tubes to reduce friction. Feels pretty good now, but wish I would have done the 1/8 shim as I felt that would be a good fix. Thanks for confirming that Steve. I will not be taking the pedals off for the 4th time however so will stay with what I have. Thanks to both of you for the feedback. BTW I heard recently about laying the fuse on it's side. Unfortunately I already have the stab. mounted and that is not something you want to make a habit of removing and re mounting even more than the rudder pedals.
Meaduck, we are neighbors (loganville), maybe we should take a look at our respective 12's. Let me know if you are int. in that.
Dick Seiders

It is actually much easier to take the stabilizer off or put it on with the aircraft on its side. You do have to be sure you have ground clearance, but gravity holds it in place instead of trying to take it off.

Best regards,
Vern

Back