What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring different questions

vinodwahi

Hi guys,

wondering if you could help me out...
What wire size did you guys use for wiring the 5 cables of the Ray Allen Trim servo? #22 should be sufficient, right? Shielded, or not shielded?

And what about the TruTrak Autopilot Servos (Alttrak, Digitrak). Also #22 unshielded?

How did you make the connections for wires / tubes coming out of the wing routing into the fuselage? I?d like to make connections as wings should be removable...

Best wishes

Sunit :)

Wiring Questions

Sunit,
I will take a crack at it.
-I am using the Ray Allen 5 conductor wiring for elevator trim servo, not positive of the size but I believe it was 22 ga. It hasn't shown up yet
-Don't have Trutrak. but for that size wire I would recommend a dsub type connector.
-I am trying to run my wing wiring uncut. However, if I have to put in a connector it will be a weatherpack type as opposed to a molex type connector. I have not heard anything but positive comments on this connector from local builders. If I needed to splice pitot and AOA lines I would use the connectors included in the Safe Air Kit, they are pretty slick.

Terry

The Ray Allen cable is what I used, it's not shielded, and the individual wire is 26 AWG, and a pit pricey at $1.50 a foot. I think it would be fine to make up a wire bundle of 22 AWG for this purpose if that's what you have on hand.

I'm a big fan of D-sub connectors for splices but at the wing root the Weather Pack connectors (from White Products) are the better choice, I think.

Check your Trutrak documentation, there should be a wire spec, but 22 AWG should be fine.

Stein

Go with the wire bundle from Stein and order an extra 20 feet or so.
You will need it for several applications and best of all it's color coded.
If you adhere to basic color coding (same that Stein uses) you will be miles ahead when hooking up wires and trouble shooting.
The Ray Allen bundle is 26g and too small to work with (for me).

Back