What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring an SL-30 & Skyview

Jbon

I'm making plans for a complete panel upgrade from steam gages to Skyview. I just purchased a really nice Apollo SL-30 and GX-50 which I want to interface w/ Skyview. The radios were removed from a Barron and included the trays, but nothing else. Obviously I need a wiring harness to connect everything. Is this something I can construct myself, or is it best to have one built?

My last radio install, a King comm/xponder package, was purchased at OSH. It came with a pre-built harness, so it was pretty simple to install. Does Dynon offer anything off the shelf like this? One radio shop I consulted wanted about $500 to build the two harnesses. Seemed kind of steep to me, but maybe that's the going rate. Time is not a big factor for me, as I'm not planning to start the upgrade until next winter, and I thought building a harness might be a fun project, provided I can get good instructions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If you're doing a complete panel upgrade, you've got a great opportunity to mock up your panel and scratch build all the point to point wiring for a nice custom fit.

Pre built harnesses still have to be cut to length and integrated by the installer, whether that's you, or some avionics shop that'll charge you enough to take out a 2nd mortgage.

It certainly is "doable". Just gotta have the right tools.

The only connections between the SL30 and Skyview are two serial wires. Probably the same for the GX50. What you are really needing are connections between all those and an audio panel/intercom. What do you intend there? Steinair did that wiring for me at a reasonable cost.

As Dave said, the only things you need in the Nav side of the harness are power, ground, serial in and out and an audio wire to the audio panel (if you have one). The Com is a little more complicated, mainly because keeping good clear Com audio is critical for good communications. You can certainly do it all yourself if you have shielded wire (2 and 3 conductor) and the tools to crimp, and the solder splices to work with the shield grounding. E install manual should have a diagram of the SL-30 end of wiring for the shielded wire and shields, so if you follow that correctly, you should be fine.

I recently completed a panel upgrade that included, removing my only Comm a MGL V6 and installing a Garmin 480 GPS/NAV/Com, Dynon Com, Nav 2000 and SL 15 Audio Panel. I, too, was going to have the harnesses built but after getting a few quotes I decided to keep my money and learn how to do it myself. I first made the diagram schematics on pen and paper using the manuals. Once I had a plan I started building the harnesses. Sure it took me longer than a professional, but I learned a lot from it. And thankfully, all is working well. Happy to help you in any way...PM if needed.

Thanks for all the good info. Ryan, did you build the harness and then install it, or did you wire everything in place?

Thanks again

I built the harnesses and the put them in place. Keeping in mind the approximate lengths needed for each harness.

The SL-30 is a great radio. One internal option - especially if you lack an audio panel - is to combine the nav audio with the com audio, saving one wire. You can turn the nav audio on and off with a switch on the SL30 itself.
The SL-30 can also output two VOR signals simultaneously. Not sure if Dynon supports this, I know GRT does. (second VOR is displayed as an RMI needle)

The SL-30 is a great radio. One internal option - especially if you lack an audio panel - is to combine the nav audio with the com audio, saving one wire. You can turn the nav audio on and off with a switch on the SL30 itself.
The SL-30 can also output two VOR signals simultaneously. Not sure if Dynon supports this, I know GRT does. (second VOR is displayed as an RMI needle)

The Dynon SkyView and D10A will display both the primary VOR and secondary VOR frequencies from the SL-30. Both come over the single SL-30 serial output. Typically the Primary drives the HSI and the secondary is a pointer to the VOR. This is a great feature for getting cross bearings from two VORs with a single receiver.

Note - I don't think other Garmin stuff does this (I know my overpriced GTN-650 does not). I can only guess when Garmin bought out the Apollo line they figured not adopting this simple software feature might sell more VOR receivers.

Carl

Back